Chapter 8 ~ Ava//Skeptisism and a Strenuous Decision

Gomez...

He sells marijuana? And pays Luther's bills, or whatever that's supposed to mean.

But he said that Luther had killed his parents! Is anyone really capable of such things? And, when did he do it? If he killed his parents, what's holding him back from killing me?

Maybe I should go to the police... I thought. No. It will just make mother more worried about me than she already is and will insist on moving again. I can't do that to her.

I walked into the floral shop. Lots of people were in there browsing. The other employees were taking care of the costumers, but I could see my mother sipping coffee in the back room. I glided over to there. She was chatting with some of her friends who were on their break.

"Hi mom," I greeted.

"Hey sweetie," she replied. "What brings you down here?"

"Oh... nothing..." I lied.

"You sure?" she asked. I nodded.

"Just wanted to spend some time with you." I gave her a cheeky smile.

"Awe..." she cooed, pulling me into her arms. The women around us all smiled at our affection.

"I wish my daughter was that affectionate with me..." one of them whined. "But she wants nothing to do with me."

"I feel like that's the case with most teenagers these days," another commented.

"Well, I'm not like most teenagers," I commented. "I enjoy mom's company."

"Still..." the first woman commented. "I have no clue what's going on in her life. Besides the fact that she sits next to the school freak in Pre-Calculous."

"School freak?" I asked. "Who?"

"Oh...Luke, or something."

"Luther?"

They all looked at me.

"That's the one!" she exclaimed. "I've seen him around...no one knows his parents. The kid looks starving all the time."

"Something tells me that he wants to look like that..." I said.

"How do you figure?" Another one asked.

"Well...I think that he wants people to be afraid of him."

"Why would you want that?" my mother asked rhetorically.

I shrugged. "I'm not sure. By the way, has he come into the shop recently?"

They all looked around at each other.

"No...why?" Mother asked.

"Oh, it's nothing."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Are you sure? Is everything okay?"

I nodded quickly. "I'm going to head back. I have some homework to do."

She nodded slowly. "Okay...I'll see you for dinner."

I turned and left. I walked to my car and drove home.

I just sat in the driveway, watching his house. The green paint was flaking off and wearing away. The grass was past the point of saving and was quite yellow. In all honesty, the house looked completely abandoned. Isn't the Land Lord supposed to do something about things like this?

The curtains were closed, but something told me that he was in there...cooking up whatever it was that he had in store for me that night. My heart beat fast with anticipation as a tear rolled down my cheek.

I wasn't sure how I felt about him. Whether is was hate, or pity, or...lust. I hated to admit it, but when he forced his cold tongue into my mouth, I didn't feel utterly repulsed. I wandered what he was going to do to me.

I walked into the house and threw the flowers in the garbage, trying my hardest to bury them so my mother wouldn't see them.

I took the note and ran upstairs. I reread it several times before lying down to take a nap. I had a long night ahead of me and needed my sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~

When I woke up, it was around 11:45 at night. I had slept the whole day? Yeesh...

A sudden wave of fear washed over me. I looked out my window and to his house. There wasn't any sign of life with the exception of the dim, and rather creepy, flickering porch light. I gulped.

Feeling as if I was being physically forced, I got up, slipped on my shoes and popped a piece of gum into my mouth.

As quietly as I could, I descended down the stairs and silently opened the back door. I hopped the fence, and crept across the street to Luther's house.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I hope you all appreciate how often I'm updating this!! I normally only update this frequently with fanfictions...but ya I just want to be done with it lol😂

Please vote comment and follow!!! I love u all!