Chapter 16 - Ava//He Come's A-Runnin'

The fear washed over me all over again like cold, icy glacier water. Shivers ran down my spine and I began to shake uncontrollably.

Not here... I thought. Not where my friends could see...

"Get up," he spat. He let go of my hair. I wiggled to my feet. "Where are your keys?" he asked.

I patted my coat pocket. "In here," I replied in a shaky whisper. He smiled.

"Good." He lowered his head. "We're going to my place for the rest of the day."

My breath quickened. Fight or flight. Fight or flight. Fight or flight.

Those words kept going through my head. Suddenly I acted. Flight.

I took off in the opposite direction from him and hopefully to my friends. I turned the corner, but was too late. I saw them turn into the building as the bell that indicated that lunch time was over rung through the school.

Frantically, I looked around for a close way back into the building. Suddenly, one of my teachers emerged from around a different corner.

"Oh, hello, Ava," he greeted cheerily. "You'd better get to class."

"I know," I replied. I began walking with him. I looked behind me to see Luther running into the open, only to stop and observe.

I turned my head back. "Um, do you mind if I walk with you to class?"

He sniffled. "Sorry, I'm not going to class. I have a nasty head cold, so I'm heading home early."

My heart sunk. "Oh okay."

"Have a good day!" He waved at me as he took off towards the parking lot. I just sort of stood there for a second.

Luther came up behind me and wrapped his arm around my neck, pulling me backwards. He brought his mouth to my cheek.

"It would be wise of you not to run next time."

He dragged me along out to the parking lot, took my keys out of my pocket and unlocked my car.

"Get in," he ordered. I did as he asked. He got in on the drivers side and sped out of the parking lot and down the street like a mad man. Well, he was a mad man. And in more ways than one.

Luther's eyes narrowed as he focused on the road. I turned away from him. My phone vibrated softly in my pocket. I silently pulled it out. It was my friend Samantha.

"Where are you?!" the text read.

Biting my lip and taking another glance at Luther to make sure he wasn't watching me, I texted her back.

"Luther's kidnapping me call for help! I'm being 100 percent serious! Call the police!"

I turned my phone completely off and shoved it back into my pocket. Within a matter of minutes, we were at Luther's.

He stopped the car in front of his house. He quickly pulled the keys out of ignition and threw them back to me. If I hadn't had quick reflexes, the keys would've stabbed me in the eye.

"Is your mother home?" he asked me.

"What?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes. "Is your mother home?" he repeated, more aggressively this time.

I slowly shook my head. "She's at work until five..."

He unbuckled his seatbelt. "Good."

He opened his door and walked out and around the front of the car over to my door. He flung it open and unbuckled me. He yanked me out of the car and closed the door.