Chapter 36 - Ava//A Book and a Date

^^^That is the cover to the final book in the Outlawry trilogy! That is when shit really goes down.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next day at school was not something I looked forward to. Let's just say it was...awkward. It was the first Friday in a long time that I absolutely dreaded would come. It wouldn't be the last, either.

When I got to school, there was hardly any body there. Word had got out that I thought that Luther was the one who had killed Samantha. For some reason, people really wanted to believe me. Simply because he had kidnapped me, they thought that I knew everything about him. They all thought that he must just think that I am so special, and tells me everything that goes on in that twisted mind of his, simply because he kept me alive, unlike the others. And so, because of this unspoken trust and blind belief, they grew afraid that he would come for them. However, it was all the wrong people who didn't attend school that day.

For the people who did come were my fellow acquaintances that I had gotten to know a bit more in the time that I had been attending that school. The previous day I had returned to school after my little "road trip", no one really bothered me with their questions. But, since they thought that I had a day to..."adjust", they thought that it was okay to completely pepper me with questions.

"Where did he take you?"

"Did you get hurt?"

"How did he do it?"

"Did he rape you?"

I looked up from my Caesar salad. Rape. Did he rape you?

"What did you just ask me?" I asked the girl back.

She furrowed her brows as a perplexed look spread across her face. She looked back and forth at her other friends, looking on their faces to see if she had accidentally said something that she shouldn't have. "Did Luther rape you?"

"Why do you want to know?"

She looked even more puzzled. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, you know. I was just wondering if you wanted to tell us about it if he did. We're here for you."

"What does it matter if he did or not? It's not like the police will find him." She nodded and looked down. "What would you think of me if I said that I willingly went with him?"

This evoked several gasps and heads shooting up. They all looked at each other, utterly confused to my odd behavior.

"What are you talking about?"

"Are you saying that you went willingly with him?"

"Is this a way of saying that you wanted to have sex with him?"

I furrowed my brows and looked around at them. They stared at me expectantly, waiting for the twisted answers. "Um...no...? Guys, come on. It was hypothetical."

One of the stupider girls in the group tilted her head to the side and squinted her eyes. "What's hypothetical?" she asked genuinely.

I laughed sarcastically and threw my fork down into the remaining salad. I got up and threw it away, leaving the insensitive girls all sitting there, wandering what they said wrong.

I just needed some peace and quiet. Some time to myself, to be alone with my thoughts. I walked down the hallway to the library and settled into one of the couches that was empty and inviting. I set my elbow on the arm rest and rested the side of my head on my fist.

It was peacefully quiet in the library that day. No rowdy, freshman boys galloping about, acting like deaf, retarded primates. No bitchy white girls lying around, being loud and obnoxious, silently judging you while they sipped their Starbucks lattes. And no Luther sitting in the corner, drawing. Just me.