Chapter 37 - Ava//Superman, Lois and Lex

I walked out of my last period classroom with an optimistic attitude for the rest of the day. Nate had asked me out on a date, to a dance, no less, and we were going to shop for matching costumes together. I don't know about him, but I felt like I was on cloud fucking nine.

I went downstairs to the commons and sat at a table to wait for him. I looked around at the few students who came to school that day that were passing by me. Completely oblivious to the hell I had been going through. Not understanding anything that I felt for the boy, the thing, who claimed to love me.

I then saw the beautiful, familiar face that belonged to Nate. Another guy was walking with him. He had auburn hair and brown eyes.

For a ginger, he doesn't look very...ginger-y... I thought. But I'm technically a ginger as well, I really have no place for judgement.

He bounced about like a little 7th grader, spazzing all over the place, causing the people who walked past him to give him strange and bewildered looks. Nate didn't look embarrassed, per say, by being with him, but he often rolled his eyes at the boy's stunts.

He spotted me. His eyes lit up as he started walking towards me. His friend was spinning around, not realizing that Nate was walking away from him until he had already walked a few feet away. Once he realized what Nate was doing, he flocked towards the two of us.

"Who's your friend?" I asked with a puzzled smile.

Nate rolled his eyes as he tilted his head to gesture to him. "That's Jesse. He's my cousin and I am not proud of it."

Jesse bounded up to me like I was an all-you-can-eat buffet. He leaned in real close to my face. I backed away out of sheer and utter disgust for him already. And I hadn't even heard him speak yet. I swear, he tried to even smell me.

"So yoooouu're Ava Lane?" he asked obnoxiously, his immature voice cracking every three seconds. I looked back and forth between the two boys and nodded. He shook Nate's shoulder, also shaking the smile off of his face. "Well good 'ol Nathaniel here hasn't shut up about you since Sunday!" he exclaimed.

Nate pushed Jesse off of his shoulder and took a step away from him. "Okay Jesse, shut up now."

"I mean, I can't blame him..." Jesse said, giving me a perverted stare. I returned it with a shocked one.

"Jesse, I need you to go home now," Nate ordered sternly.

"But I don't have a riiiiiide!" the boy whined.

Nate furrowed his eyebrows. "What the hell happened to your license?"

He sighed and gave him an exasperated look. "I got it suspended. I just told you that literally three minutes ago!"

Nate rolled his eyes. "To be fair, I don't listen to about 75 percent of the things that you say to me."

"Whatever. I'll just get a ride from someone else." He looked at both of us. "Are you guys going to go do something?"

Nate nodded and sat down next to me. "We are going to go look for costumes for the Halloween dance tomorrow night."

Jesse nodded. "Whatcha gonna go as?"

I looked at Nate, who returned my look. "Um...we don't know yet," I answered.

"Why, what are you going as?" Nate asked his cousin.

A large grin spread across Jesse's face as he tilted his head down slightly. "Me and the gang? Same as always..."

Nate sighed. "Do you really think that the costume that you usually do would be appropriate? Considering everything that happened this week?" I looked at Nate with a puzzled look. What was he talking about?