Chapter Thirty

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.
[Rubin's Story]

Vote&comment if you want:)

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

RUBIN WHITEWELL HADN'T ALWAYS BEEN AN INTROVERT. SHE HAD A STORY—MUCH LIKE ANYONE ELSE DID. BUT SHE KEPT HER STORY A SECRET.

Rubin was born into a wealthy family, her childhood was bland and boring. She was left to raise herself and barely got any attention from her parents who were always gone working.

Being the adventurous child that she was, you would often find Rubin out in the massive forest which resided just behind her family's manor.
She would just wander around for ages, listening to the soothing sounds of the wind that rushed around the forest.

Rubin also often snuck out of the house to go visit the nearby muggle village, she loved it there—it was so full of life. It took her a while to get used to the streets, but after a couple of weeks she was an expert at wandering around and could even do so without her cane.

The village kids had befriended her and were nice enough to explain where everything was. They always dragged her along to little plays and party's which she loved—she always felt included when she was around them.

Rose Grey, one of the village kids, was the first one to meet Rubin. When the two met they immediately clicked and were practically inseparable. From what Rose had told her, she had dark ginger hair and green eyes. Rubin wished for once that she could see, Rose always spoke of herself as average but Rubin could tell that she was utterly beautiful from the way she acted. She was selfless and kind, never hesitating to help someone in need.

Perhaps that's why she fell in love with her.

Love was a strong word, and even though Rubin was only ten years old when she first met Rose—she knew that they had something special.

On Rubins thirteenth birthday, Rose gifted her a beautiful silver ring. When she ran her fingers over it she could feel braille letters engraved into it. I love you, it said.

That was the day Rubin realised her true feelings for Rose. She had received the ring just before she had to leave for her third year, so Rubin decided to send her a letter as soon as she was at Hogwarts. She had told Rose about her being a witch even though she knew she wasn't allowed to, but she trusted Rose. She trusted her with her life.

But the letter never reached her.

Rubin waited months for a letter, but she never received one. She figured it might've gotten lost, that her owl had accidentally dropped it somewhere but after returning home for the holidays she realised that that was not the case.

Rose Grey had died in a house fire not long after Rubin had left for Hogwarts. Apparently it was some freak accident which left the entire family dead and when Rubin heard the news she immediately broke down.

The village kids never left her side, knowing how much Rose meant to her. Before Rose died, she had written a letter for Rubin. One of the village kids managed to find it unharmed from the fire and knew it was best to give to her.

Rubin spent the next couple of days being locked away in he room. She couldn't bring herself to read the letter, but some part of her was desperate to hear her kind and loving words again. So she read the letter. A simple spell was cast, one that imitated Rose's voice—as if she were reading the letter to Rubin.

'Dear Ruby,

It's been exactly thirty minutes since you left and I already miss you. I am currently working on a new dress for you, and I know you said dresses weren't your thing but trust me you look absolutely gorgeous in them. I cannot wait for the holidays when I get to see you again, I hope all goes well with your studies and I can't wait to receive all your letters.

-Your Rosie x '

Rubin let out a chocked sob and dropped her wand, her heart ached tremendously and all she wanted was for the pain to go away. She didn't want to feel the overwhelming grief that was starting to consume her, she just wanted it all to go away. All dreams of having a future with Rose were stripped away from her, she was dead and she could never come back. She could never hear her beautiful laugh ever again, she could never feel her soft hand in hers. It was all gone, her Rosie was gone.

When Rubin returned to Hogwarts, she pulled away from everyone. She rarely spoke to anyone except for when she was asked to speak, she spent her free time locked away in her room studying and reading.

That was until everything changed in her fifth year.

Holly Black was starting to peak her interest, there was something about the girl which spiked Rubin's curiosity.

And Rubin Whitewell couldn't wait to find out what Holly Black was hiding.

It has definitely been a while! This chapter is pretty sad but I wanted to tell Rubin's story since she'll start to have a bigger part in the story soon!

Edit: 23.04.2023
This chapter only has minor edits such as corrected spelling mistakes <3

I hope you're all doing well and wish you a good morning/night!

-Star x