29: Puppies and Past

Niomi's POV:

I open my eyes to an overcast sky. I sit up, rubbing my eyes. I glance around, and I'm surprised when I find a small dog sitting at my feet. It's just a puppy. The little thing whines and rubs my leg. I sit on my butt, looking at the pup.

It's a small, grey-ish colored mixed breed. I pick it up and find that it is, in fact, a boy. That's when it clicks.

"Alden?" I question the little baby. He barks and wags his little tail. I gasp. It is him! I shoot out of my spot and start running, trying to get to the nearest bus stop or taxi. I stop a taxi and climb inside.

I direct the driver and then I sit back for a little bit. I look down at my clothes. I'm wearing the long, red dress that I was wearing when Hazel and I returned to Destrian. Alden sits happily in my lap, gazing out the window at the rapidly-passing buildings.

All of a sudden, the city goes dark. The cab stops, but the power is back within a few seconds. I almost panic, but the driver says something the calms me.

"Yeah, that happened once earlier today. Did you catch it?" he asks me. I shake my head and we go back to silence. We finally pull up in front of my apartment building and I climb out, pay the driver, and run into the building.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After I've had a shower and changed into some more comfortable clothes, I call the local pet store and ask if they can deliver some things for Alden. I tell them that the money will be by the door and that they can leave it outside. I shut Alden in my room, so I can focus and have some quiet time for myself.

I make myself some lemon tea and sit down on my couch. I curl up in a blanket and sip my tea. Now, what am I going to do? I don't want to go back to Destrian, but I have too.

Hazel's there and so are the people I've come to love over the past few weeks. I can't just leave them. I'm sure Hazel was right, but I really did need some time away from them.

I put my tea on the coffee table, lay down, cover up, and I soon find myself asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I open my eyes and I'm standing in a snowy field. There are perfect little snowflakes falling from the grey sky, and I look around me. I seem to be in Destrian, but I'm not sure. I turn back around and then Kaden and Killian are standing before me.

"Welcome back. You've been gone for too long." Kaden says, coming up to me and giving me a big hug. I don't really hug back, surprised by this.

Then Killian approaches. He gives me a hug too, but he kisses me on the head when he does. I'm stunned by this, and both men take a step back.

"Are you going to stay for good now? If so, you need to decide where." Killian says. I give them questioning glances.

"Decide what? Stay where? What's going on?" I ask, very confused.

"Who do you want to stay with?" Kaden questions, me still very confused.

"Who? Who am I staying with? I don't understand!" I yell, getting frustrated.

"You have to make a choice. Stay here, with me, or leave, with him." Kaden says, motioning to Killian. I gasp.

"What?! Where is this even coming from? I don't want to go with either of you!" I state, backing up. They step closer to me.

"You have to pick .It's the only choice you have." Killian says, the two still stepping closer.

I trip and fall backwards, but before I hit the ground, I wake up with a scream. It was a dream, just a dream.

I gaps for breath, throwing the blanket off my body, feeling uncomfortably hot. I can hear Alden in my room, barking like crazy, thinking something's wrong. I tell him to be quiet, then I find some ibuprofen for the splitting headache I've acquired. 

I open my front door and pick up the dog stuff and groceries that I had delivered. After everything is unwrapped and set out, I let Alden out of his little prison and he runs out and smells all the new things for him. I pick up one of the small bouncy balls I got him and I squeeze it. 

It lets out a shrill squeak! and Alden chases after it when I throw it. He brings it back and I throw it, and this goes on for a few minutes. After about five throws, my stomach growls, and I take the ball and put it on the bookcase. 

I go into the kitchen and fill Alden's new dog bowl with kibble. Then I take out the chicken salad I had ordered. I sit at my kitchen table and me and Alden enjoy some well earned food. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, as I'm getting ready for bed, my mind suddenly becomes foggy and I feel myself pass out. 

After the darkness consumes me, my mind opens onto a morbid scene. At first, I see nothing but light flickering on brick walls. But then a center light comes on. And there, laying on the ground, are all my friends from Destrian. 

They're all dead, blood spattered everywhere. There seems to be a puddle of blood covering the entire floor. I look around in horror and see a crouching shadow against the far wall. 

The person moves and then steps into the light, and I gasp. 

It's me. The other me, the psychotic one, is laughing like a psycho. She splashes around in the blood, kicking it and smearing it on her face. I step back and then darkness returns. 

"This is what will happen if you ever return to Destrian. You will murder your friends in cold blood. And it will be your fault and your's alone." a mysterious voice says. 

And with that, my eyes shoot open, and I'm crying and sobbing within seconds. I can't go back. Ever. 

I hug my knees to my chest and breath deeply. 

I can never see my friends again. But I have to stay away. I can't risk murdering my own friends. That would kill me inside. I just can't. 

So it's decided. 

I will never return to Destrian. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woah!!! How ominous.... Tee-hee!! 

I hope you enjoyed and really, there's only one more chapter!!! Ahhh!!! 

Please comment, vote and favorite and I will see you all very soon!! 

Love you all a looooot!!~Embior2 

P.S. the pic on the side is puppy Alden.