36.

It feels like someone has been sitting on my chest for the past 24 hours. The more I try to breathe, the more it hurts. The more shaky my air flow gets. But I hold it in with short, rapid spurts. I hold back every tear, every scream, and every urge to latch onto him in a moment of weakness.

He is like a drug. The second I am without him I am mentally lunging for him all over again just to feel that high. Just to feel his love. But he hasn't spoken a word to me in 24 hours, and I can't blame him.

I sit with my knees tucked against my chest as the group clasps their helmets. Just like his silence, I too haven't spoken a word to anyone about what has happened, but they're bound to catch on sooner or later.

I'm drawn away from my thoughts by a knocking on my head. I jump, peering up at Elton, who's looking down at me with concern, "Got your gear on tight?" He asks, kneeling down to me.

"I think." I mutter, holding my arms out for him to examine my elbow pads. He gives each strap a slight tug before nodding with approval and wandering over to the group.

For today's video we're going on a bmx bike trail. Seems dangerous so I'm thrilled.

"I'm gonna go first," Elton announces, "Once I'm a safe distance ahead start following." With that, he perches himself onto his bike and peddles off.

One by one, the group becomes smaller until it's just Colby, Shea, and me left. I haven't left my spot in the dirt. I was hoping they'd be gone and I'd be able to sit here for a minute.

But as usual, fuck me I guess.

"I'm kind of scared." Shea looks at him hesitantly.

"I'll be right behind you." He smiles at her, making my heart pound hard in my chest with anger.

She lets out one last giggle before disappearing into the trail. I watch silently as Colby mounts his bike, and just as he starts off, he stops, turning back to look at me, "You coming?" His voice is lower than it normally is. It's dark and angry just like how it was when we met.

My mouth runs dry and I lose all air to speak. So instead, I just return a pathetic nod. But once he sees I'm yet to stand up, he drops the bike and crouches down next to me. My eyes lock to my sneakers as I swallow the lump in my throat.

"Look at me." He commands gently, dropping his guard he had just a few seconds ago. I can't. I know the second I see those blue eyes my own will start to tear.

He sighs, "Y/N... just.. try to have fun, okay? I won't let you get hurt out there."

"But I hurt you." I finally grunt, biting on the inside of my cheek.

"I hurt us."

***

Sam's POV

"Where are they?" Kat worries, looking into the woods.

"They probably stopped for a quickie." I tease, wrapping my arm around her shoulders and pulling her into me.

I give her a quick kiss on the cheek before heading over to Elton and the guys to check out the go-pro footage with them. As we watch, we all look up as we hear the metallic spinning of wheels approach us.

Colby and Y/N emerge from the trail, but Colby strays away from her almost immediately. I watch as she lingers off by herself again like she did earlier.

I lightly elbow Corey and nod my head towards her, "I think something's going on with them."

"I'd be pissed too if my boyfriend invited another girl to a trip." Corey mumbles with his eyebrows raised in a judging manor.

"Fine, next time I won't invite Kat." I crack a joke to ease the tension.

"Thanks, babe." He rolls his eyes and goes back to watching the footage.

I take the moment to separate myself from the group and walk over to Y/N. I take a seat down next to her and follow her eyes to see what she's been staring at.

Colby and Shea.

I lean closer to her, "If looks could kill, I think they'd both be dead right now." I whisper.

A half-hearted smile forms across her lips as she quickly looks away from them, "Wouldn't that be nice."

"Wanna go for a walk with Kat and I?" I offer, hoping if she's away from them she'll feel comfortable to talk to us.

She nods and we get up. As we pass my Kat, I link my fingers with hers and pull her with us.

The first few minutes is silent, just the sounds of our feet crunching the leaves and kicking the stones as we walk.

Once we're a good distance away, I stop, causing a chain reaction.

"How are you feeling?" I ask Y/N, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Good." She answers simply, too simply.

Lucky for her we aren't in Pinocchio or her nose would be long enough to stab Colby's eye from here.

Kat and I exchange a look.

"What happened?" Kat asks her gently, knitting her eyebrows with concern.

As soon as Kat finishes her sentence,
Y/N breaks down in tears. We both quickly rush to hug her, trying to keep her together. My body trembles at the force of her sobs. We both try to shush her to comfort her, but her cries only get louder and louder, echoing through the trees.

Running footsteps approach as, and panicked breathe follows along with it. I turn and see Colby bolting towards us, calling out her name once he sees us.

Your POV

I peak over Kat's shoulder. Though everything is a blur, I see him rushing towards us. I hear his voice shout my name, nearly inaudible with my loud sobs.

Colby snakes his arms between them to cup his hands on my face, rushing to examine every inch of me his eyes can land on, "Did you get hurt?" He rushes his words in a panic.

The gravitational pull between us becomes impossible to resist, and I collapse into him, clinging to his warmth. His arms wrap around me tightly as I bury my face in his neck, most definitely soaking the hem of his shirt, "Colby.." I croak out, my throat raw and sore.

"Yes, baby?" He hushes.

My heart drops. In fact, I think it stops.

"I need to go home."