1.

The bittersweet collision of marijuana, pulsating music, and the hum of the crowd settle in the air, chaotic like ocean waves crashing against the sand during a hurricane.

The bass travels from my feet all the way through my body, pulling me with its beat, swaying me to its rhythm. Beside me, my best friend, Morgan, screams the lyrics to the song I don't know. I dance to it nevertheless. Sweaty bodies collide together harmoniously, high in one way or another. Whether they are livid from the music or the drugs, I move with them.

The dangerous length of the dress Morgan picked for me draws unwanted attention, attention that she was more used to. Since high school, Morgan had always been the one to have a new boyfriend each semester. With her painted nails and naturally wavy red hair, she stood out. That's what drew her to me. Because I contrasted her.

As each year passed, her group of friends slowly dispersed until it was just us two left. Once we graduated, we moved away from home, and now we share a small apartment together in Arcadia. The very apartment that is holding too many unfamiliar faces, each body threatening to cause more mess than what's already been made.

"I'm getting another drink!" I slur over the noise to Morgan before I slip through the sea to our makeshift bar in the kitchen. My hand shakes as I pour my drink, strong enough to get rid of this headache.

Beside me, a boy sits, hunched with his elbows on the island. He looks up when he notices me observing, "Hi?" He says questioningly.

"Sorry." I mutter then down my shot in a quick motion. I extend the glass to him, "Want one?"

He shrugs, so I pour him one. He takes it in his hand, and after lingering for a moment, he drinks, "You here alone?" He asks after cringing at the vodka.

"I live here," I laugh, "My roommate Morgan wanted to have a 'moving in' party, but it's getting kind of out of hand. Do you know her?"

He shakes his head, "Nope. I live upstairs, heard the music so I figured, why not? I was here with my friend but he disappeared."

"What's your name?" I ask, shifting my weight onto one leg. He looks up at me, his brown eyes traveling from my own down to my lips, then back up again.

"Jake." He answers simply, the hint of a smile pulling at the corners of his lips.

His stare shifts behind me, and a sigh escapes my mouth, knowing Morgan is approaching. As much as I love her, every time the two of us are together, she gets all of the attention. For once, I wish I could have at least a conversation with someone and be focused on.

Her arms wrap around my shoulders, alcohol reflecting off her breath, "What's taking you so long?" She smirks, and I know she's eyeing Jake. He responds to her with a seductive smile and a chuckle.

"Just talking." I try to keep my tone from shifting to annoyance, but she's so drunk I doubt she'll notice.

She pulls away and sits next to Jake. I take this moment to separate myself after taking another shot. I step out onto our balcony, the cool night breeze hitting my skin, forming goosebumps almost instantly. I watch the city lights twinkle and cars drive by from below.

The door slides open behind me, and a tension forms in my chest.

"Be careful." A deep voice mumbles. I turn around and meet blue eyes, darkened by the night sky.

In his hand rests a solo cup, his posture heavy, and hair blowing gently with the wind, "What?" I ask, my hand gripping my own arm with anxiety.

He flicks his head toward the railing, "You were leaning over pretty far."

My eyes narrow at him, realizing he was looking up my dress, "Excuse you? Keep your eyes-"

"I was worried you'd fall actually," His eyebrows raise, but not in offense, "but if you'd like me to take a look at you, I'd be more than happy to." He takes a sip of his drink nonchalantly.

I scoff and try to walk past him to go back inside, but he steps in front of the door, "Trust me, you don't want to go back in there."

I glare up at him, "Why's that?"

"Because I'm right here."

**

Hi, guys!! Ah! I've been gone for so long. I've had the concept of this book for so long but it took me forever to start it. I have so many drafts for this intro alone, and this was the one I was happiest with. I hope you guys are intrigued. As you know, I love reading your comments so feel free to chat with me :)