4.

Colby stands stiff next to Jake, looking rather miserable. His posture eases a bit when he sees Morgan and I approaching the pair. Jake smiles warmly at us and opens his arms for a hug. Morgan leans in and wraps her arms around him for a quick moment before stepping back.

I grab my arm and find something to fixate my eyes on something other than Colby to keep my thoughts from racing. Jake wraps his arm around Morgan's shoulders and the two lead the way into the bar as Colby and I trail behind in silence.

The tension between us is so dense and it leaves me questioning why. We're perfect strangers. No strings attached. Why is it so awkward?

We weave through the dancing crowd. Somewhere in the midst of chaos, we become separated from Morgan and Jake. To my surprise, I feel Colby's hand lock with mine, pulling me out of the eye of the storm. We make our way to the bar together and sit. He orders us both a shot of Jack, downing his before I can even pick mine up.

"You look nice." He mutters, giving me a sideways gaze.

I look down at the shot glass between my fingers, "Thank you." I respond quietly.

"Hm?" He leans in close. I turn my head to face him, almost grazing his ear with my lips.

"Thank you!" I repeat.

We remain close for a few seconds, long enough for me to watch him bite his lip, before he leans back into his previous position.

He orders another round of shots, this time we do it together. I wince at the taste, earning a light chuckle from him, "What?" I peer, embarrassed.

He shakes his head and smiles lightly, "You're cute, Y/N."

This is the first time I've heard my name part his lips, and I have a hard time telling if it's that or the alcohol that makes my stomach suddenly burn.

He slides his glass to the edge of the counter then rises to his feet, "Stay here." He demands before making his way to the bathroom.

While he's gone, I take my third shot with intentions of easing this anxiety. I pull out my phone and see a text from Morgan asking where we got to. Within thirty seconds of telling her I'm at the bar, she and Jake appear on the stools next to me. Both of their breath out of hitch, I can tell they were having fun dancing.

"Where's Colby?" She asks over the blur of music.

"Bathroom." I respond, checking the time. Five minutes have passed. Jake looks at his phone, and his features shift. He says something to Morgan that's inaudible to me then gets up, kisses her forehead, and walks out of the bar.

"Everything okay?"

She sighs, "He said something came up."

I look around, still no sight of Colby. I give it another five minutes, listening to Morgan tell me some things she learned about Jake before speaking up, "I think we should leave too."

"What about Colby?" She questions, taking her own glances around the bar.

I don't respond, instead I just stand. She takes this as a hint to follow me. A rush of cool air hits us as we walk out the door. We turn the corner on our way back to the apartment when we hear running footsteps approach us from behind. I clutch my purse and hold my breath, fear spreading throughout me. I notice Morgan look over her shoulder before a hand grips my arm and spins me around. I hold in a yelp, suppressing it back when I meet Colby's dark eyes. My back hits the brick wall of the bar softly, and he leans down and kisses me hard. I listen as Morgan's boots continue walking and a short laugh comes from her already in the near distance. His hands hold my face, and his breath hits my lips in between kisses.

He finally pulls away, and I stare at him speechless, "Goodnight, Y/N."

"...goodnight, Colby."