Versus the Mountain - Part 1

(Dakotas POV)

The next morning, Ryan asked me to come with him to the robot when they were going to figure out what to do about Ryans birth father. Rightfully so, he was nervous about it all night and we ended up being on FaceTime for two hours talking about it the night before.

"You're sure about this?" Ryan asked Leo in the morning. "My birth fathers in danger."

"Mmhm." Leo types on his computer. "He took a job as a miner for the McCallum Mining Concern, but there was a collapse at his dig site."

"A cave-in? So he's trapped." Ryan says sitting next to me.

"And even worse the company's keeping everything about it quiet. They must not have had permission to drill there. They're leaving them to, uh.." Leo paused, "fend for them selves."

"So in other words they left them there to die." I added.

"Well yeah, but you guys are kids so sometimes I try to phrase things a little less horribly." Leo explains. "But yeah they're leaving them to die."

"Well that leaves it up to us." Ryan gets up to leave the room. I followed while said, "I'll call the team."

—————

"I plotted a course to Mount Lancer." Harris says after everyone arrived at the robot

"And I got travel brochures for sight seeing along the way." Spyder added.

"Are you sure we should take the robot out of state?" Mark asked. "Grey and Harper are still out there. They know who we are, and we gotta protect mom."

"Actually, I've got that covered!" Leo rolls a satellite dish looking piece of tech into the room. "It's a home defense unit. So we put this on top of your roof, and it's programmed to detect all of our enemies. If it gets a hit, it will let us know. I also wanted it to release killer bees, but capturing them one at a time was taking forever, this guy know what I'm talking about." Leo rolled the tech towards the elevator, pointing at Ryan. Ryan just shook his head no at the last comment by Leo. "Also, it should be able to cover Dakotas house as well, so you'll be in good shape."

"All right, I should stay and help Leo Harper-proof our place." Mark said. "You gonna be all right."

"Totally. Go take care of mom." Ryan reassured his brother.

"Don't worry Mark I'll keep his emotional impulsiveness in check." I added while Mark followed Leo.

"Thanks, Kota." Mark yelled back from the elevator.

"Really?" Ryan asked me.

"Tell me I'm wrong?"

——————

"Okay I can see the mining company's op center." Harris says while we're one our way to the mountain. "We're almost there. Hey have you figured out what you'll say to your dad."

"Well I'd start with, Hi, I'm Ryan Walker, can I have 14 years worth of Christmas presents please." Spyder says while I spun around in my chair.

"Oh don't forget to mention you're dating and Olympian." I added.

"I can't reveal my identity to him, guys. Harper's back, and if he finds out about my birth father he'll go after him." He sighed. "Meeting him will have to be enough."

"I wish Harper never survived." I said. "That's kinda dark now that I say it out loud."

"Don't worry about it, we all feel the same." Ryan laughs. 

"Hey, do we have time to stop?" Spyder asked. "The words largest cornflake if right near Mount Lancer. I found it on this site called Worlds Greatest Hoaxes."