𝙲𝙷. 𝟹 𝙶𝚎𝚝𝚊𝚠𝚊𝚢

Night, you tossed and turned for nearly three hours in bed for the sake of fear, regretting not erasing the memories of all witnesses in the convenience store quicker.

Sure, you were an overall optimistic person, but when things didn't go where you expect they would be, you would be very distressed, especially knowing your identity was exposed. You didn't dare to tell your mom, she would be very anxious for sure. She couldn't afford to lose you after your father left. And what could she do to help if she did know that your mutant powers were being seen? She couldn't do anything to help. Nothing, even if she asked someone for help, but who could she be asking? The thoughts ran over and over again in your mind.

You cursed under your breath for kicking off the quilt and letting it drop to the floor because you had to get up and pick it up. When you did the action, you heard footsteps coming nearer and direct to your room. Panic, you quickly snatched the quilt and got back in bed; for fear that your stepfather was drunk and would hit you if you hadn't slept.

The door creaked, and outside the door came several agitated voices of your stepfather and Byron from downstairs. Soon, you recognized the faint panicky breathing sounds; the person who came into your room was your mother.

''(Y/N), wake up, pack your things,'' She turned on the light and shook you in a rather rougher manner, ''we're leaving!''

You jumped out of bed instantly, feeling something bad must've happened. ''Pack? Why?'' You glanced over at the alarm clock, which was being placed by the nightstand; it was only two in the morning.

''No time to explain, quick! Pack everything you need in the luggage and meet me downstairs. When you do, run as fast as possible to the front door.'' she instructed, looking at your eyes full of concern and fear.

She ran downstairs, stepping on every stair flight loudly; this was the first time you saw your mother in a completely aghast state for you. Obeyed, you stuffed the important belongings into your luggage; no time for packing neatly, you thought.

Once you finished packing, you headed right down to the door. Passing the hall, you could hear the loud bellows of Mr. Turk from the kitchen, followed by Byron's voice, clearly trying to hold his father down.

They were arguing...this was rare. Byron wouldn't quarrel with his father unless it came to your problem, and the matter was serious enough.

''Get off me, Byron! If we catch her and handover to the military, we'll be rich! Don't you dare ruin this big opportunity!'' You heard. And heard another voice, which belonged to Byron, replied, "No! You've done enough harm to her! I won't let you sell her to the government! Hell knows what they'd do to her!''

You were stunned, processing the whole scenario. They knew, Byron and Mr. Turk; they knew you're a mutant; no wonder your mother told you to pack because Mr. Turk was ready to hand you over to the government at any second! What you've been worried about since yesterday evening had come true, bad things did happen.

''(Y/N), come quick!'' Your mother pulled the luggage for you, urging you to get in the car.

Your mother got in after she put your luggage and other belongings in the trunk, starting the engine in no time since Byron couldn't hold Mr. Turk down anymore. Mr. Turk was running after your mother's car, shouting like a maniac.

''I swear to God...I'll hunt you down everywhere you go! Freak!''

Freak..., you weren't used to hearing this word—not until yesterday.

Your mother's brows knitted, and big drops of sweats kept falling from her forehead. Her grips on the steering wheel, she didn't utter a single word, not until she drove out of the town and headed to the interstate 95.