𝙲𝙷. 𝟷𝟸 V𝚊𝚐𝚊𝚛𝚢

You rent a car in which last time you landed in Washington D.C., and headed straight to the White House. The drive was, without a doubt, silence. No one seemed to be in the mood for talking or chatting, as expected. The only sound you heard was probably your heartbeat, for it pounded like a drum in your chest, hard and clear, as if it stated out loud the fear in your mind. As for the adults, they didn't make any preparations except for their presence and the professor's wheelchair, which made you hesitate whether the outcome of this mission would make any difference from the last.

Within thirty minutes of the car ride, you arrived at the White House. People swarmed in two lines by the entrance to get through the security checkpoint; no restricted items were allowed in the ceremony. You followed the three adults quietly and occasionally got suspicious glances from people around you, since you were only a teenager, and it was odd to see a teenager attending a ceremony like this.

When it was your four's turn to pass the checkpoint, the professor went through first, with Hank pushing the wheelchair behind, and you and Logan followed suit. Logan gave the security his sunglasses, and you did the same, giving your small bag with a water bottle in it to the security guard. Though, once you went past the security gate, the security officers behind the gate needed you to hand in the invitations for them to examine your qualification for entering the ceremony. Panicked, you stayed close to Hank like a child, who was scared of being left behind.

"Can I see your invitations, please?" asked one of the security guards.

"Yes, you may," replied the professor coolly. Just as you thought the professor would bring out four invitations for the man to check, he placed two fingers on his temple, and the security guy let you pass. "Go ahead," said the man. You watched the man with wide eyes until the female security guard returned your small bag and urged you to go forward with your companions. It later occurred to you that the professor had used his power to communicate, or, should you say, manipulated the thought of that person's mind to let you through without invitations.

"Logan," called out the professor, making sure all of you had caught up. "(Y/N), stay close to us no matter what." You nodded, though your eyes scanning everywhere on the beautiful lawn: crowds, stage. And the White House at a bit further away since it was blocked by the temporarily built podium.

You stood along with the adults, fascinated at everything in sight. Still, you were just a kid who hadn't been to many occasions, so seeing a ceremony like this even on a mission had let down your guards very soon. Not until the professor uttered out loud I haven't found her yet, but she has to be here had you let the tour guard change from absentminded to vigilance again within seconds. "Focus, (Y/N), focus. You're on a mission," you thought.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the president of the United States," announced the MC, and the ceremony swung into full gear. Everyone cheered loudly as the president walked up to the stage, and you couldn't help but clap and cheer as everyone did.

"My fellow Americans, today..." began the president, "behold—the world will never be the same again." As he turned back with his arm stretched, showing something hidden behind the national flag. Eight sentinels were shown—greater than an elephant; no, perhaps, like a dinosaur size to you if you had ever seen one in your life. You flinched at its size and the material that made those giant robots— for their bodies were as hard and solid as armors. Though they weren't, they were made wholly metal-proof. Soldiers stood up and saluted at the magnificent mutant killers while other citizens like yourself cheered and clapped once more.

"Raven?" said the professor out of nowhere, grabbing the attention of yours and two other adults. "I have her," the professor then pointed to a direction near the stage for Logan and Hank to see. "There. Do you see? Secret Service Man, left of the stage, go!" Logan and Hank nodded and got to where the professor indicated, and as for you, he told you to stay close to him.