CHAPTER 01

People tend to say that love is a wonderful feeling. That love helps us grow and be a better person. That love completes us.

I always hated it when my friends talk about love. How their eyes sparkle and how they felt that butterflies in their stomach. How ridiculous.

If only they knew that love can destroy them in the end.

I witnessed it all. I witnessed how my mother lost herself because of love. I witnessed how the person she loved the most abused her and treated her as a mere thing.

Muli kong pinasadahan ng tingin ang pangalan ni nanay na nakaukit sa kaniyang lapida. How strange that I didn't mourn for her.

Maybe because I hated her? I hated the fact that until her last breathe, she proved how much she loves my father, who didn't do anything good for her.

She was pathetic. I've always questioned why would she choose to stay with her husband when she was abused multiple times? How could she stand her daughter getting beaten just for the sake of love?

The things they do for love...

Pinagpagan ko ang aking suot na nadumihan na. I sighed as I opened the old wooden door. Nakakabinging katahimikan ang bumalot sa loob ng bahay.

In dramas, they would cry and break down because their house was already empty and the people that once filled it passed away.

But for me, it was completely different.

A wide smile plastered on my face. Halos mapunit na ang aking labi sa kakangiti. Bumuntong hininga ako, na para bang nabunutan ng malaking tinik sa lalamunan.

Finally, I won't be able to hear my father's shouts and my mother's cries anymore. Finally...

Since I earned enough money, I'm planning to move in to a new house. Ayokong bumili, gusto kong magpagawa.

Hindi ko masisikmirang tumira pa rito. Bawat sulok ng bahay ay naaalala ko kung paano mag-away ang mga magulang ko. It was a torture everyday.

I stared at my reflection on the mirror. Bumagay sa akin ang suot kong suit, lalo na ang hawak kong case. Inilugay ko ang itim kong buhok na hindi gaanong mahaba. I wore a red matte lipstick and I'm ready to go!

"Good morning po, attorney," an intern greeted me as I entered inside my law firm.

I smiled a little and walked towards my table. I looked at my watch and raised a brow.

"57"

"58"

"59"

"Good morning po, attorney!"

Finally.

Bumaling ako sa sekretarya kong muntik na namang malate. Hindi pa nga niya naayos ang necktie niya.

"How about the thing I asked you to do?" I asked.

She wiped her sweats using her plam and smiled.

"Engineer Arellano agreed, attorney. He would like to discuss the details with you this afternoon," she answered.

I smiled and clapped my hands. "Okay, tell him to come at 3 o'clock. "

"Ah, a-attorney," her face seems bothered. "Kayo raw po ang pumunta sa office niya."

"Huh?" Seriously, ako pa talaga?!

"Marami raw po kasi siyang inaasikaso," aniya.

"Marami rin naman akong inaasikaso ah!" I suddenly shouted.

"Attorney, ba't ka sa'kin galit?" Liela pointed herself using her finger.

"Basta! Sabihin mo, siya dapat ang pumunta rito," I commanded.