8 - Summer Social

Clara was back to part-time hours at the firm and trying to take it easy as much as possible. It was proving to be difficult for her already. There was a lot of pressure from the partners, even though they claimed to be understanding. She had always given them her all, and now she couldn't. They didn't quite get it.

She was still staying with Mom and Dad, and probably would for a few weeks after I went back. I was leaving in just over a week. That night was the dance, which I was oddly excited about. I felt like I was the high schooler.

I loaded up Mom and Clara and we went to the salon. I had made appointments at their regular salon when I found out about the dance. I had planned to wait until I got home. Dad took Connor to do guy stuff for the day, so we had a girl date.

I needed my highlights touched up and a trim, and Clara's black had grown out and her red roots were showing. It actually looked kinda cool, but she hated it. Mom just wanted hers shaped up a bit, no color.

"My angel, why do you hide your fiery locks?" mom asked Clara as we drove.

"Because judges and juries take me more seriously with black hair. One of the partners' wives suggested it years ago. She wasn't wrong," came the reply.

"I think your natural color would be an asset. People know not to mess with redheads," I winked.

"Sadly, I won't be trying any cases for a while. Hyungwon will be handling all of them. I will be working behind the scenes and helping him prep."

"That is good news. I want you to do everything the doctors say," Mom added as she patted Clara's hand.

We were all seated with our stylists and Clara surprised us by asking for a burgundy color all over. We looked at her in shock.

"What? I've been thinking about it for a while, but couldn't. Now I can," she grinned. Mom and I looked at each other, not sure if we should be worried or not. Clara had never been impulsive. She planned everything. She followed the rules. Connor was just like her in so many ways.

I asked the stylist to style me with beach waves, instead of my usual straight hair. She nailed it and gave me exactly the sexy look I was after. It was a nice change from the norm for me. I wondered how Minhyuk would like it and then shook my head. Stop. Just stop!

Clara and I talked while I got ready. I wore a black silk thong and strapless bra with thigh high stockings. I stepped into the dress and pulled it up onto my shoulders. Clara zipped the back. I donned dainty rhinestone earrings and a matching bracelet. I colored my lips with a deep red lipstick that went well with my skin tone, and tucked my hair behind my right ear as I stepped back to get a look at the full package.

I twirled around carefully so that I didn't fall in the skinny heels. Clara told me I was going to kill the men. I reminded her there would be teenagers there. She said they would not be paying attention to me. They would be ogling the teenage girls. I looked back over my shoulder into the mirror and liked what I saw.

Changkyun called to tell me he was 5 minutes away. I grabbed my wrap and clutch and headed downstairs. Dad and Connor were waiting for me and they both said, "wow." I giggled shyly. Mom popped around the corner with her camera and made me pose for pictures.

"Mom, I am not going to prom. I am chaperoning with Kyunnie."

"I know, but you just look so lovely I can't help it," she gushed.

A knock on the door signaled Kyun's arrival. He opened the door and stepped inside. His jaw dropped when he saw me.

"Noona, you are stunning," he said in a loud whisper. I curtsied.