Max- English Assignment

"Miss Mayfield, late again I see" Mrs Norbury says with a frown.

"Sorry, I was in the bathroom" Max explains, pulling her headphones from her ears and stuffing them in her backpack.

"Get in your seat then."

Max hurries to the desk in front of me, leaning back in her seat.

"As I was saying, I will be pairing you off for this assignment and you will have to present your assigned piece to the class. Does everyone understand?" Mrs Norbury asks, earning nods from the class.

"Okay in that case the groups will be, Dustin and Peter, Hannah and Lucas, Y/n and Max.."

Max turns around to face me with a smirk.
"Looks like it's you and me Y/l/n" She exclaims, winking at me.

I roll my eyes at her and cross my arms.

"I will be coming around with a transcript of each of your scenes for you to read over" Mrs Norbury says.

She makes her way around the classroom eventually reaching Max and I. She carefully places the sheet between us.

"The balcony scene, shit" I think to myself.

Max spins around in her chair and moves in closer to examine the sheet.
"What play is this again" she asks, leaning her elbows on my desk.

"Romeo and Juliet, do you listen at all?"

"Woah someone's snappy" she says with a grin.

"Look Max, I really need this grade" I sigh, "so if you could please just-"

"Relax Y/n, I won't make you fail" Max says, her tone surprisingly sincere.

"Okay, well do you want to come to my place tonight to practice?" I ask.

"It's due in a week" she says, furrowing her eyebrows.

"We need to rehearse so we can get it perfect" I explain.

"Fine" she sighs.

"8:00 at my place then" I suggest.

The bell sounds and Max swings her backpack over her shoulder as she leaves the room. Before she walks through the door, she turns on her heel and smirks, "see you tonight" she mouths, winking at me.

I sit on my bed, staring at my alarm clock watching as it ticks to 8:07.

Max and I have never been close, in fact we have never really gotten along. Every time I hang out with the party, Max makes a point of not showing up. I never really understood Max's dislike for me but I have always happily reciprocated the sentiment.

In fact everything Max says and does gets on my nerves. I find myself lying in bed late at night thinking about her, a knot of frustration in my stomach. And now she's being nice to me?
It doesn't make any sense.

A knock on the door snaps me out of my thoughts.
I hurry to open it and find Max standing there drenched in rain.

"Shit" I mutter, "you really couldn't have brought an umbrella or something."

"Nope" she says sarcastically.

I sigh as I rush to grab her a towel.
I toss it at her and she hurriedly dries herself off.
Once her shoes are off and her skin is sufficiently dry, we move upstairs to my room.

She sits on my carpet and I settle on my bed.
She shivers as she holds the towel around her shoulders.

"Do you want a change of clothes?" I ask.