Part 4 - Cyberbullies and Chickens

CUT TO:

INT. ANOTHER SCHOOL HALLWAY 

SCHOOL BELL RINGS 

Halli hikes her backpack up her shoulders as she wades through the crowded hall. She has her nose buried in a SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL. Her phone BUZZES from her back pocket. She opens her lock screen and reads a nasty Snap post: 

ON PHONE: 

"Everyone check out McFly's new relationship!" followed by a video of Halli reading her book with hearts around her head. Someone replies: 

"Oh, thought you were serious."

"Get real. The only guy who could love McFly is her own dad."

"Loser."

BACK TO:

INT. SCHOOL HALLWAY

Halli winces and puts her phone away, along with her book. Her attention is suddenly directed ahead as we hear a locker door SLAM.

DOWN THE HALL, an extremely tall TEENAGER, a year or 2 older than Halli, is making a ruckus with his gang of BULLIES. They are MULLET, a stocky kid with a mullet; VIPERS, a slim e-boy with silver VIPERS; and AMY NEEDLES, a small, scrappy-looking emo girl with a mean glint in her eyes---and she's just getting off her iPHONE. She gives Halli a smirk.

HALLI takes a deep breath and marches toward the scene. She approaches the tall boy from behind while trying to keep her distance.

HALLI
Hey, Griff!

The boy turns around. This GRIFF TANNEN may not have electronic implants or a hoverboard, but he's just as intimidating--especially for below-average height Halli.

GRIFF
What do you want, Butthead?

HALLI
My brother needs his shoes back.

The hall begins to quiet as students watch the exchange curiously. Some begin filming on their cell phones.

GRIFF
What shoes?

Halli's brow furrows as Griff turns back to his locker and friends. Halli tries to make herself appear larger.

HALLI
(speaks louder to get Griff's attention)
Oh, yeah, real mature, man! What kind of coward are you, beating up a twelve-year-old kid and stealing his stuff? Why don't you try picking a fight with someone remotely your size for once? Or are you too scared that you'll lose?

A murmur of shock and excitement rolls through the spectators--no one stands up to Griff.

Griff turns around and crosses his arms.

GRIFF
Those are pretty strong words, McFly. But I don't see your older brother around to protect you.

HALLI
Just give me the shoes before you get in trouble.

AMY NEEDLES
Get lost, McFly.

She shoves Halli, who falls backward a few steps and hits the lockers painfully, but Halli's more startled than hurt. She's never been in a fight before! But she's not just going to stand there and take it--she made a promise.