Part 16 - The Law of Destiny

CUT TO:

INT. FUTURISTIC ROOM

This particular room is dark, but full of enormous computers, futuristic tech, and the murmurs of agents at work. We focus on a young man with thick glasses and messy black hair, who is working furiously on a glowing laptop. He looks a little like young George McFly, but his confident posture and eyebrows narrowed in pure determination tells us he's another character entirely. Agent Tannen and "Jadestone" come into focus behind him.

JADESTONE

Jake, do we have time coordinates yet?

JAKE McFLY

(focused)

Working on it.

AGENT TANNEN

We don't have all day, McFly. Brown's actions could start affecting us at any second.

JAKE

Time travel physics aren't something to be trifled with, Tannen. I need to check my law of destiny...

AGENT TANNEN

You mean density?

Jake glares at her.

JAKE

Your shoe's untied.

TANNEN

And you're still gullible.

(suddenly points)

What the heck is—

Jake smacks Tannen's hand away. Just as things get heated, Jadestone breaks it up.

JADESTONE

We get it——you've never liked each other. Can we please focus?

JAKE

(focused)

Right, sorry. Density...divided by the amount of time traveled in centuries...multiplied by the possibility of a space time rupture...should determine the destined location of the time-traveling object in question. Got it!

TANNEN

The coordinance?

JAKE

As well as I can. The DeLorean itself only traveled to 1955. That's the only time coordinate I can get a good read on, but even then, I can only narrow it down to November 5th, some time between 6am and 6pm. I recommend sending a squad some time in the morning.

JADESTONE

And the other two dates?

JAKE

This is where it gets tricky. Verne didn't perfect his machine--the other two dates are his passengers, which were scattered because of the portal gun malfunction. Those dates are more fuzzy. The best I can give you is a three to five day radius.

TANNEN

(dubious)

That's all you've got? We only get one trip forward and one trip per time pod back ever since Doc Brown blew the fusion line! What happens if we miss the date?

JADESTONE

It'll have to do--the less exact dates are stranded anyways. Send the teams now, Tannen.

Tannen looks from one man to the other, suspicious and angry.

TANNEN

You're both in on this, aren't you?

JAKE

In on what?

She makes a stormy exit. Jadestone sighs, shakes his head, and begins to follow her, but Jake stops him.

JAKE

(looking at computer)

Good luck, captain.

JADESTONE

We'll all need it for a mission like this—-

JAKE

(turns around)

That's not what I meant, sir.

JADESTONE

I know what I'm doing.

Jake pauses and gives Jadestone a knowing look.

JAKE

Let's hope you do.