Part 21 - Committed

CUT TO:

INT. FDTC DETENTION BLOCK

Jadestone powerwalks his way down the white hall. He passes several glass cells, knowing his way perfectly. Finally, he comes to an abrupt halt at an especially roomy cell with one INMATE. The inmate wears a white jumpsuit and lounges on an uncoushened bench, facing away from the camera.  

INMATE

Funny--the jail cells just keep getting cushier in the future.

JADESTONE

Verne, I think it's time we talked.

Verne turns and glares at Jadestone through messy, blonde bangs.

VERNE

Oh, now it's time to talk--not before you secretly joined the FTDC; not before you got Dad exiled to heaven knows when; not before I left to save the universe--now that I'm in federal time prison, now, now it's time to talk.

JADESTONE

I only wanted to keep you safe, Verne.

VERNE

(stands, pounds on the glass)

Shut up, Jules! You knew this would happen eventually! You just started working for them because they gave you power---power beyond anything a human can imagine. And once you got a taste of it, you were addicted. Addicted enough to betray your own family.

JULES

(angry)

I joined them to protect our family! To protect you! I gave the FTDC time travel secrets so they wouldn't kill our parents–-

VERNE

They already might as well have! We don't know where or when they are--all because you sold us out!

JULES

(frustrated)

If Dad would have told me the plan, I wouldn't have told them anything. But no, he just had to go off making secret plans with his favorite...

VERNE

He loved us both. You know that. And maybe I'm not not as bright as you always were, but Dad could trust me, and someone had to fix this mess--and I did it! It's only a matter of time before the FTDC is hit and erased by the ripple effect I started in 1955...

JULES

It's already hit us, you idiot.

Jules pulls a black glove off his right hand. Purple CRACKS run from his finger-tips to his palm, shining like open wounds.

JULES (cont)

Only you've corrupted a fixed point in time. Now the ripple effect isn't fixing the timeline---it's ripping it apart. You didn't save the universe. You destroyed it.

Verne is shocked and scared for his brother. Then he comes up with a plan.

VERNE

We can still stop this, Jules. Just let me out, and I can help--

JULES

(angry)

No!

(softly)

I--I can't let you out.

VERNE

Yes you can! You we're promoted to captain, you can--

JULES

This isn't a jail cell, Verne. It's...it's an asylum.

VERNE

What??

JULES

I couldn't tell them you broke all those time-travel laws of your own accord. They would have killed you immediately...so...

VERNE

So you had me committed?!!

JULES

I'm sorry, Verne. I really am.

He walks away.

VERNE

(yelling)

No! Jules! You can't do this to me! I'm all you have left! Jules, look at me! Look at me, you lying, two-faced, traitorous coward! Mom taught you to be better than this!

Jules pauses, looks conflicted, but doesn't look back.

VERNE (cont)

(pounds on the glass)

JULES!!!