Part 5 - Jennifer's Story

CUT TO:

EXT. McFLY HOME - EARLY SUNSET 

Halli and Emmett walk up to the door, which has a Vivint smart lock and doorbell. As soon as Halli opens the door

INT. McFLY HOME - FOYER

we hear a

FEMALE ROBOTIC VOICE

Front door.

They enter the foyer--it's not exquisite, but it reeks of the word 'family'. There is a pile of shoes by the door, a coat rack laden with jackets, and a few family pictures on the wall.

The lights are off. Emmett kicks off his shoes and calls:

EMMETT
Alexa, turn on the lights

An ALEXA ECHO DOT sits on a half wall between the foyer and the living room. It lights up when Emmett speaks--then the lights flash on.

JENNIFER (O.S.)
Happy birthday, Emmett!

Halli and Emmett look up at the same time.

INT. McFLY HOME - DINING ROOM/KITCHEN

A woman in her later forties waits for them in the dining room beneath a HAPPY BIRTHDAY sign, complete with a few balloons on the ends. JENNIFER PARKER McFLY has a few wrinkles in the corners of her eyes, but she looks happy, kind, and loving. She's a hard-working mother with a good relationship with all her kids.

BACK TO:

FOYER

Emmett runs toward his mother while Halli smiles as she takes off her shoes

EMMETT
Mom!

BACK TO:

DINING ROOM/KITCHEN

Emmett runs into his mother's arms, and they both laugh.

JENNIFER
Emmett, you're getting so tall! What did you do to your eye?

Jennifer and Emmett continue speaking as we cut back to--

FOYER

CAMERA FOLLOWS HALLI as she walks in the same direction as Emmett. She pauses and looks at one of the walls. We see: a picture of YOUNG MARTY and JENNIFER on their wedding day (a lovely, outdoor wedding); a family photo of Marty, Jennifer, Halli, Emmett, and a boy who looks about two years older than Halli--their brother, ERIC McFLY; a graduation picture of Eric. Halli touches this one and smiles.

EMMETT (O.S.)
(ignoring the question)
This is awesome!

JENNIFER (O.S.)
Don't act so surprised. I know you snuck a peek in the closet yesterday. But sweety, your eye--

EMMETT (O.S.)
(still ignoring the question)
I didn't know about the present!

CAMERA CONTINUES FOLLOWING HALLI as she exits the foyer and enters the dining room.

JENNIFER (O.S.)
Don't tell me you didn't expect us to get you something! Now, stop avoiding my questions--your pants are ripped, and you've got a bruise on your face; what did you do?