Part 23 - The M.A.R.T.I.

CUT TO:

INT. OUTSIDE JANITOR'S CLOSET

Halli and Tiff stand outside a janitor's closet door. Tiff bights her lip.

TIFF
I've never shown this to anyone before.

(deadly serious)

I need to know if I can trust you.

HALLI
Hold on a sec. We've just met, and you're wanting to confide your deepest secrets to me?

Tiff gives Halli a look of terrifying uncertainty, as though trying to make Halli give something away.

TIFF
Can I trust you?

HALLI
Yes.

TIFF opens the closet door with a CREAK into a pitch-black room. Then she pulls the light string in the center of the closet, lighting it up in a yellow haze. We see the entire room is covered in newspaper clippings and photographs connected with red string. Halli's mouth opens in awe as she looks around.

HALLI
Tiffany--what is this place?

Bright red letters painted on the newspaper near the ceiling read M.A.R.T.I. All of the newspapers have something to do with the McFlys, Doc Brown, the Tannens, DeLorean schematics (some with flying equipment drawn on the wheels with a sharpie), train engines, the Clock tower, or Chuck Berry. 2 old, flickering computers sit on various broken desks.

TIFF (cont)
The custodians don't use this room, so I stole it.

Halli becomes a little concerned as she eyes the suspicious papers.

HALLI
I guess I meant...what is all of...of this?

She points to the newspaper conspiracy. Tiff grins.

TIFF
Conspiracy theories are my guilty pleasure. I used to theorize about the Titanic and the Kenedy assassination, but then I found something crazier, right here in Hill Valley. And I think you might be able to help me prove it!

Tiff stands by the front wall with the painted letters.

TIFF (cont)

(professional)

Welcome to the M.A.R.T.I. Complex. Stands for McFly Attempts on Ruining Tannen Interests. The Marti for short.

(excited)

It all started when I was doing this family tree research paper when I was a Freshman. It turns out the Tannens have lived here in Hill Valley since 1850. My great-great-great grandfather was an outlaw called Mad Dog Tannen--

(points out an old picture on the wall)

--so obviously I started doing my research there. It took a while, but I finally got the full story. Turns out the marshall captured him with help from this guy named 'Clint Eastwood'. Weird, right?