Part 20 - I May Be Crazy

CAMERA ZOOMS OUT from Halli's face, and we see that she is wearing a black and neon pink shirt, netted gloves, her previous washed-out, ripped jeans, plus neon pink leg warmers. She holds a can of hairspray.

HALLI
(to Doc)
Do you really think this is necessary?

DOC (O.S.)
That's how girls your age wear their hair, Halli. If you want to fit in with you surroundings--

HALLI
But back-combing can seriously damage your hair. That's why Mom's hair is so fried...oh, what the heck.

She starts spraying her hair liberally as the CAMERA PANS over to a coffee maker, which turns on automatically and begins filling the coffee pot. Doc speaks as we continue watching his contraption.

DOC (O.S.)
Usually your father would be here, making a racket with his guitar, but Thursdays you can usually find him skateboarding with his friends near the school. Remember, while you must befriend your parents, you can't tell them anything about the future---especially about the time machine.

A toaster also turns on with the help of a timer, and two pieces of perfectly toasted bread land in an awaiting plate. The plate moves just slightly enough to start a ball rolling down a ramp. The ball lands into a makeshift swing (made of a sock and a shoelace). This turns the stove on with its weight, then swings and hits a bowl full of scrambled eggs, which dumps its contents into a frying pan. A mechanical whisk stirs the eggs as Doc throws some cheese in the pan. Camera zooms out as he continues.

DOC (cont)
For now, stick to the Halli Kline story. You live a few hundred miles south, and you've come to Hill Valley--

Halli joins him on screen, her hair back combed, 80s style.

HALLI
Visiting you. I got it. As soon as they're back together, I'll borrow the DeLorean, stop Verne, and find a new way to stop the government from discovering time travel. Man, this is trippy!

Doc checks his watch as we see Marty ride past on his skateboard. Halli sees him, but Doc doesn't.

DOC
You'd better get a move on. He'll be on his way now--

HALLI
Way ahead of you.

Halli makes her way toward the door, but Doc stops her.

DOC
Wait--I've got something for you.

He hands Halli a skateboard. CAMERA CLOSES IN as Halli gasps in excitement. Some 80s ROCK-AND-ROLL MUSIC starts up in the background as her gasp becomes a mischievous grin.

EXT. HILL VALLEY - TOWN SQUARE

Halli propels herself forward down the sidewalk on her new skateboard, sticking safely to the clear sidewalk. As she rides, she looks ahead and notices something.

MARTY, up ahead (wearing the pair of sunglasses we saw erased), is definitely not sticking to the sidewalk. He's riding in the middle of the road, catching rides on the back of vehicles.

HALLI is shocked. Her father would never let her do something like that!

HALLI
(to herself)
What are you doing, Dad?

MARTY jumps his skateboard back onto the sidewalk, and

HALLI speeds up to catch up with him. The music keeps playing in the background quietly.