Part 19 - Time Tracked

CUT TO:

EXT. MEDIEVAL COTTAGE - NIGHT

A heavy rain is pounding against the cozy cottage on the edge of the town. A warm, golden light escapes from the windows.

INT. COTTAGE - NIGHT

Clara and Emmett are sitting across from each other at a small table, eating stew out of earthen bowls. Emmett now wears a simple woven tunic and dark trousers. He sets down his bowl.

EMMETT

I still don't get it. How did you and Doc end up here?

CLARA

When we were captured in 2105, Emmett--sorry, my Emmett--was forced to work for the FTDC or spend the rest of his life in prison, since he and Marty had evidently broken every time travel law in existence. We were able to cover up for Marty, but they've been keeping tabs on your family.

EMMETT

Yeah...our Alexa Dot was spying on us about the time Dad got arrested!

CLARA

(shocked)

Marty's been arrested?

EMMETT

Will be arrested. It's weird to think about...

(thinking)

Hey, you're here--do you have a time machine we can use?

Clara sets down her bowl and begins stoking the fire.

CLARA

I wish. See, Emmett chose to work for the FTDC to protect us, but he tried to sabotage every project they created. Eventually the FTDC figured it out. He was more trouble for them than he was worth, so they tried to exile our family and leave us in the one century my husband could never invent another time machine.

EMMETT

Medieval times. They'd burn him as a heretic.

CLARA

Or at least run him out of town. He told me to stay here and lay low, but I haven't a clue where he is, and now they're calling me a witch. If he hadn't been so--darn--stubborn--

With each word, she jabs the poker into the fire with unnecessary force. Then she lets her arm go limp, giving up. Emmett stands from his place at the table after picking up both bowls and approaches from behind.

EMMETT

(comfortingly)

But you said they tried to send your family here.

Clara smiles into the fire, hope glimmering in her eyes.

CLARA

They didn't get Verne.

(looks up at Emmett)

When Emmett knew he was running out of time, he gave Verne as much future tech and time travel parts as he could get his hands on and blew the FTDC's fusion line so they have to use plutonium to time travel. Then he got Verne a one way ticket on a time travel capsule to 2019, where he could create a plan with your father to stop what's happening in the future. We never had a chance to decide what to do any further than that as a family, but I trust Verne.

EMMETT

Halli said you had another kid. Is he here?

Clara looks conflicted. She sets the poker down and stands, putting an arm around Emmett and leading him away from the fire.

CLARA

It's late. Let's get you to bed.

EMMETT

OW!

Emmett sticks his right pointer finger in his mouth, as though he just cut it.

CLARA

What's wrong?

INSERT: EMMETT'S HAND

Emmett's index finger is marked by an inch-long purple Time. It almost looks like a small cut, but it glows slightly.

We hear a LOUD KNOCKING at the door. Clara and Emmett spin around. We hear the KNOCKING again.

CLARA (cont)

Were you time tracked?

EMMETT

Time what?

The door flies open, and we catch the backs of FTDC agents carrying guns.

FTDC AGENT #2

Freeze! Hands where we can see them!

Emmett and Clara raise their hands above their heads, Emmett dropping the earthen bowls. His hand is still glowing brightly.