Still Looking Up

"One touch!"

"I got it!" Oikawa followed the ball and nodded at Iwa. "It's all yours!" He grinned and set the ball for his boyfriend, who spike it perfectly.

He held back a laugh as the Karasuno members on the other side of the court groaned and their coach called a time out.

"You're on fire today Iwa."

"So are you, captain." Iwa pressed a quick kiss to Oikawa's forehead before taking a drink.

Oikawa shrugged. "I meant it when I said we're going to nationals." He hummed and sat on the bench. "I'm gonna have to take a quick break. So I think it's time we put Mad dog out there."

Iwa nodded. "What do you think coach?"

"Oikawa's right. We'll send Yahaba in as setter and switch out Kunimi with Kyotani for awhile."

The timeout ended, and the teams went back onto the court. Oikawa watched the next few rallies in silence, studying Kyotani's behavior. The second year had started out fine, but it was obvious he was getting annoyed from his teammates telling him what to do.

Kunimi glanced at Oikawa. "Should we switch? We're halfway through the set."

"Not yet," Oikawa muttered. "Soon. But I need to see something first."

"Kyotani! What are you doing?"

Oikawa's eyes widened in shock when he heard Iwa yell. Sometimes he could get excited, or mad, but he never yelled. Not like that, anyway.

"I've told you before. You can't shove people away because you want to spike. You're not the only person on the court. If you do that again you're benched, got it?"

Letting out a sigh, Oikawa frowned. "He was doing so well." Oikawa ran a hand through his hair and turned to face the coach. "Two more rallies. Then Kunimi should go back in."

"Sounds good to me."

Kunimi took a deep breath, and Oikawa put a hand on his shoulder.

"What are you getting so nervous about?"

"I don't know. I just... Don't wanna mess everything up."

"Listen to me, Kunimi. You may not be as flashy as Kyotani, but you're just as skilled. And you've been a starter on this team for months now. Sending you back out there won't mess anything up. So cheer up!"

The first year gave him a small smile. "Thanks." His gaze slid to the captains leg. "How's it holding up?"

"Oh, it's fine. Hurts for the first time in awhile but nothing I can't manage. I'll probably sit out the rest of this set, but I'll be back for the next one." He looked back at the court and smiled when Iwa got another spike.

A few minutes later Kunimi and Kyotani switched.

"Mad dog. What was with you pushing your teammates?"

"I just got mad."

"Being mad isn't an excuse. What are you going to do when you're a third year and you need to set an example for your underclassmen?"

Glaring at Oikawa, Kyotani frowned. "Will you stop lecturing me? I get it, okay. It won't happen again."

"If you say so." Oikawa turned his attention to the match. He would spare Kyotani from an in depth lecture. For now, at least.

As the match went on, Oikawa's nerves increased. Karasuno had taken the lead. He'd expected that and hadn't figured they would win in straight sets. But by the time it got to set point for Karasuno, Oikawa realized how down his team was.