Chapter 11

Vegas smoothed down his dark green shirt then ran his fingers along his open lapels as if to check that they still sit at the perfect position he put them into. He put his hands into his pockets then glanced around, his eyes stopped upon the freshly set white-cream flower arrangement on the granite shelf opposite of the entrance. He walked over to it and moved the orchid in the centre that it sat at a different angle. He looked at it with a frown on his face then hastily turned towards the door as he saw Porsche lift his hand to his ear.

He straightened and gentled his expression to hide the nervous anticipation he felt as the entrance was opened and his father walked in with two of his closest bodyguards. The man looked around, his eyes sliding over the two young men before he saw the living room and started to walk towards it, getting closer to his son.

"Papa, welcome back. We prepared..." Vegas suddenly stopped as the man walked past him with a harsh frown on his face.

"Don't waste my time." said the man glancing around the ground floor and finally turning towards his son "Where is the study."

Vegas blinked at him once, the smile frozen on his face as he lifted his arm and pointed towards the corridor. Kan walked there and opened the only door on it, entering the room without hesitation clearly expecting Vegas to follow him.

Porsche frowned after them before walking closer and standing next to the door, guarding the corridor. He saw how the two older men who came with the head of the first family took up position beside the entranceway, keeping him in their sight.

Vegas closed the door behind them and walked closer to his father watching as he looked around the study with a frown on his face before he stepped to the sturdy desk and turned around to lean against it, looking at his son with cold eyes.

"I heard that there was an attempt on Kinn a month ago." said Kan, his gaze not moving from Vegas' face. "Do you know anything about it?"

"There was a woman who tried to get a child from him. We tried to find out her identity but all the recordings were scrapped." Vegas would know, he was the one who made sure everything was destroyed after they combed through hours of data to try to find an usable angle on the woman.

"I'm more curious about how he got out of it."

Vegas froze only for a moment at his father's words. He knew from the moment that he chose to follow Porsche's wishes that no matter how hard he tried there was always a possibility that Kan would find out about it and he would need to explain himself. He thought multiple times about what kind of excuses would be believable enough to the man and take away the blame from his friend.

"I noticed there was something strange happening and decided to step in. I thought that Kinn getting a child would just cement his stand..."

"This is the issue with you." interjected Kan, stepping away from the desk "You think when you shouldn't and don't think at all when you should." he looked around the study pointedly, his eyes gliding over the minimalist but expensive furnishing before glancing at his son once again "Two years on your own probably just made you worse."

Vegas lowered his gaze, his hands clenching behind his back as he fought the urge to react to the man's words in any way. He learned it long ago that there was no reason to even try to defend himself. His father clearly came here with something on his mind that didn't include seeing his sons after two years at all. He will find out what the true reason for this visit was soon enough.

He saw from the corner of his eyes when Kan grimaced at him as he wiped his mouth, his fingers sliding through his well maintained moustache before he dropped his hand to put into the pocket of his beige suit jacket.