Chapter 27

Vegas looked at the monitor then on the book he started to keep just to track their progress for investigating the issue with their inventory. He made sure once more to check all the subtotals and totals, clenching his teeth as the amount didn't change no matter how many times he redid his calculations.

He lifted his arm in anger, ready to slam it down the desk and throw everything off of it but he stopped at the last moment, slowly lowering his palm to the wood, grimacing when his eyes met Nisay's amused gaze.

"I guess we are not moving forward with this issue," commented the man, standing up from the couch and stretching his muscles.

"I'm happy that you find it amusing," replied Vegas with a frown. "It's your money too."

"I found your reaction funny, not the situation." Nisay rolled down his sleeves and started to properly button up his shirt, getting ready to leave. "I still think it would be best to rebuild everything. Now that you lead your own branch, you can even leave out your uncle's people."

"I told you it's impossible to go around my uncle in this city. At least right now I know who is paid off by him." Vegas closed the book before him and started to gather his notes. "If one of my men is bought by him I can be sure they aren't working against us. This is Uncle's money too."

"Your family is way too complicated." Nisay shook his head, then glanced at the side as there was a short knock on the door before it started to open.

They both fell silent as Pete stepped in, holding his body sideways, halfway behind the cover of the door, waiting for Vegas' nod before completely walking in. Vegas stood up from his chair right away as he saw that Pete had Venice in his arm, gently holding the baby against his black shirt while the newborn made little whimpering sounds

"Did something happen?" asked Vegas, walking closer right away.

"No," replied Pete right away. "The breeder is here with the puppies and I have to hold the weekly meeting for the bodyguards after that, but he is a little fussy and you know that he would start to cry if I put him down like this."

"Macau is still not up?" questioned Vegas with a frown. "I know I said that we should let him sleep after his meeting yesterday with Nik but it's already ten."

"No, they are still sleeping." Pete held out Venice so Vegas could take him. "And Porsche left with Khun Tankhun not long ago after they got into an argument about something."

"I should start charging my cousins for rent," muttered Vegas. He gently patted Venice's back, his lips twitching as the baby started to quiet down almost right away. "At least Kinn and Kim are sharing rooms with others but Tankhun almost took over Chay's room during the last weeks."

Pete just smiled at him, long used to his grumbling. He knew that Vegas wasn't serious about his annoyance with his cousins, even though he wished that Porsche would sometimes remember that he was still technically working for Vegas when he decided to do some random thing in the middle of the day, unconsciously pushing his responsibilities to Pete. Even if he knew that his lover was more than happy to fill his schedule, as he was still not used to the more peaceful days outside of the first family's employment, Vegas wanted him to have as much free time as possible in the mansion so he could feel more at home.

They looked at each other for a long moment before Pete turned around when he heard some rustling before them, relaxing as he saw that it was only Nisay putting on his suit jacket.

"Sorry for disturbing your meeting," said Pete, looking at the other man.

"It's alright," nodded Nisay with a smile. "Family comes first."