Chapter 13 : The fair

The sun was already setting on the horizon, tainting the sea into a beautiful palette of pinks and oranges

The sun was already setting on the horizon, tainting the sea into a beautiful palette of pinks and oranges. Despite the day ending, the weather was still very pleasant, with only a slight wind interrupting the cloudless sky. It was an absolutely perfect day to finish off the fair- a series of smaller-scale attraction set up beside the port of the nearest city.

Bee had taken an hour and a half bus ride to get there. Although this was a date with Adrien, he was busy with his part time job, and he said he would arrive from a different direction, therefore they decided to just meet up at the fair. Bee put a lot of effort into dressing up- her hair was silky smooth and styled into a half-up ponytail, which allowed some of her jet-black locs to fall onto her shoulders. She'd picked out a super cute summer dress for the occasion- a checkered pink dress on spaghetti straps which showed off her nice figure. This was paired with a light white jacket, a pink purse, and some white fila shoes. Bee had also put an extra amount of effort into her makeup- it was so well-blended that it looked as natural as her skin, her eyeliner was so perfectly drawn that it seemed almost tattooed on, and her lipstick and blush created this lively look to her honey-brown eyes.

Excitement was an understatement for what Bee felt. She was ecstatic. After all, her and Adrien hadn't had a proper date in quite a while because Adrien always preferred to chill at his house, and although Bee didn't mind it, she also wanted to do something fun once in a while. Besides, she'd gone to this specific fair each year with someone special, whether it was her family, Olivia, or other friends, and she'd been waiting to take Adrien here and add him on her list.

Bee looked down at her phone screen. She was 15 minutes early due to just how early her bus had arrived. But it was fine, she didn't mind waiting. She was enjoying looking at all the friends, families and couples entering the rides zone which she was currently sitting beside. The smell of fair foods such as hotdogs, burgers and cotton candy also appealed to her, as they caused her to remember some of her dearest childhood memories.

She sat there happily as time passed. First it was the initial 15 minutes. Adrien still wasn't there. Bee decided to wait a little bit longer. 5 more minutes. She still wasn't worried. 10 minutes. She texted him. 15 minutes. She called him, but he did not pick up. 30 minutes. She'd sent him around 10 text messages and 3 calls, but he'd responded to none. 40 minutes. The sun had long set, and so did Bee's excitement.

45 minutes. As Bee once again put the phone beside her ear, listening to the constant beeping which signified that Adrien's phone was on but he wasn't picking it up, the first tears were beginning to pool in her eyes.

What had happened to him? Why wasn't he responding to any texts or calls? More importantly, why wasn't he here? She'd been sitting there for an entire hour and nothing.

Just as the call once again hung up on its own, Bee's phone vibrated. Finally a text message.

im sorry babe

smth came up and i cant make it

what do you mean

did something happen?

im worried sick about you!

babe?

Adrien?

But just as quickly as his online status had appeared it had vanished, and Bee's messages weren't getting read anymore.

The girl didn't even know what to think. She felt her heart tearing into a million tiny pieces. She knew that she was being unreasonable for feeling this way: as Adrien had said, something important came up, so it wasn't that he was avoiding her but he actually had important engagements and didn't have enough time to tell her about it. It was fine. She could understand.

Yes. She could definitely understand.

But her body reacted differently to her mind. Tears prickled at her eyes, threatening to drop at any second. The world around her seemed to blur- the people passing by looking like flashing lights, and the loud sounds getting droned out by the melody of her despair. Her fists were clenching so hard in her lap that she felt one of her acrylics snap at the pressure.

Bee had never felt so low in her life. It was sorrowful, shocking, and so so so so painful. Almost as much as a physical injury. Or even more than that.

She felt so stupid. So idiotic, so god damn demented, so pitiful. She'd sat so long at this bench, like a puppy waiting to be picked up by its human. But he never came.

She hated everything. The bench, the music, the fair, the wind, the sea, the night, herself-

"Bee?"

I've never really understood when people refer to a certain song as their "escape" from reality

I've never really understood when people refer to a certain song as their "escape" from reality. But Call Me What You Like has made me feel like I'm floating

So go stream Call Me What You Like by Lovejoy :)