xxv. ADJUSTMENTS

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

ADJUSTMENTS

"AND THEN THERE IS ME, ALWAYS WAITING FOR YOU,"

EVERY DAY FEELS LIKE A SIMULATION. Waking up early, eating breakfast with Joyce, smoking smelly plants with Jonathan and Argyle, and then counting down the days till the girl reunites with the love of her life. 

This past year has been one of the most challenging adjustments Brooklyn's had to go through. Not only did she have to leave her girlfriend behind in Hawkins, but she also lost her Dad. She felt hopeless.

Not having any parents left is a feeling that Brooklyn wouldn't wish upon anyone, she hated her life. At the same time, she was extremely grateful, she and El had Joyce. Joyce became their Mother over the years, treating the girls no different from her two sons. 

Brooklyn laid on top of her freshly made bed, listening to the sounds of her and El's music clashing through the walls while the bright California sun beams through her big window. She wanted nothing more than to stay in her room all day and sleep, but she knew Lenora Hills High School was waiting for her.

This school was nothing like school in Hawkins, everyone here was such assholes. Brooklyn learned to keep to herself in this school but couldn't say the same for El. Every day she was defending El from someone's bullying glare, not that she felt Eleven couldn't defend herself, she just wanted to be there to help. 

Overall Brooklyn felt horrible for El, she just started speaking full sentences and she's thrown into a full-on high school, of course, bullying will happen.

Looking at the clock, Brooklyn notices that she doesn't have much time left till Argyle rolls up in his stupid pizza delivery van to drive them to school since Jonathan's car is still broken. She finally gets out of bed, walking over to Jonathan's room.