Chapter 5

Rain makes life beautiful. But currently it was making Mehek's car dirty and wet.

Jigar and Mehek, both were drenched to bones and as soon as they got in Mehek couldn't see anything in the front as it was raining cats and dogs. She sighed and turned on the heat to maximum.

Jigar acknowledged her gesture and she smiled. So he did have manners.

He sneezed once, twice and thrice. Mehek had enough she searched her purse and found a handkerchief. She passed it onto him silently who nodded his head and wiped his face.

The rain slowed down and so did his sneezes. Mehek asked him where his hotel was and quickly drove him there.

He stepped out of the car and said, " Thank you for driving me back and, of course, your hospitality."

She smiled at him and he waved a goodbye and hurried inside.

Mehek too, drove back home as she didn't want to catch a cold herself. Though she might be pleased if the boy's family could be avoided because of her health but then her mother would make sure that does not happen.

Once inside her house she rushed upstairs to her room and took the dry clothes for a warm shower followed by a steam session to evade any possibilities of a cold.

*_*_*

Jigar pressed the bell many times before the door opened and his parents were shocked at his appearance, drenched in mud and water, it was their prim and proper son!

His mother closed her open mouth and snapped at him, " It is raining heavily outside and you decide to play in mud! Have you not grown up at all? Go and get yourself clean!"

Jigar could not phrase a reply and simply followed her orders. Once clean and dressed in warm clothes, he sat beside his mother and clarified that he was not playing in mud but was splashed by a car.

" Still, who told you to walk in such heavy rain?"

Jigar closed his eyes in annoyance, first that woman and now his mom, both had to say the same thing!

" Mom, I had to clear my head."

" You don't need to clear your head! You need a companion and a desire to move on!", She made him see her point but it fell on deaf ears.

" Calm down, both of you. Jigar, go and order dinner. Priya, he is trying, you need to have some patience with him.", Aditya Shah said.

" Kab tak? Boliye na? It's been years to that incident. He needs to move on.", Priya cried. ( Till when? Say?)

" Jab tak wo khud nahi chahta tab tak." ( Till the time he doesn't want to)

" I just hope his wife will pull him out of those dark memories.", Priya mumbled.

Aditya sighed and led her to the en-suite.

*_*_*

" Mehek? What are you doing beta? Steam? Are you sick? Did you get wet in the rains?" Mehek's dadi, Ujjwala Patel asked when she spotted her granddaughter bent over the kitchen slab with a towel covering her head.

" Baa, I am taking steam as precautionary measure as I got wet in the rain.", she replied along with a few sniffs.

" You are sniffing too, not good. Let me make you my famous kadha. Everything would be fine after that!"

Mehek nodded along with making a face which her grandmother royally ignored.

" So, the previous boy you met, Nimit, was a hypocrite. I am happy you rejected him." Ujjwala started a conversation.

" Mom must be disappointed. She is trying so hard to get me hitched.", Mehek expressed her concern.

" So? You will marry anybody whether he is worthy or not, doesn't matter? Your mother is doing all this for your betterment. Even if it takes years, you should never compromise on your self esteem and independence."

" Yes, baa." Mehek nodded while grabbing the hot cup of kadha .

While she had the kadha, Ujjwala said, " The boy coming tomorrow belongs to a good family and is an introvert as described by his mother. You will have to be patient around him."

Mehek nodded and kept the empty mug in the sink following her dadi outside.

In the drawing room, all the members of the house, Mehek's parents and uncle-aunt, their son as in Mehek's cousin and his wife, were laughing aloud. Ujjwala and her granddaughter as well joined them and the time passed faster than ever. Soon, it was midnight and everybody retired to their rooms.

Mehek, too entered her room and was about to close the window when she saw the stars covered by clouds, she thoughts of the stars as her wishes and the clouds all her hurdles.

" I just hope, someday, somewhere, a man and I would lean against the windows and hope for a beautiful life ahead."

*_*_*

Jigar gazed at the stars and wished for his life to go back to normal, only if it was that easy.