Chapter 11

Dil kho gaya, ho gaya,
Kisika,
Ab raasta mil gaya,
Khushi ka,
Rishta naya Rabba,
Dil chhu raha hai...

Mehek was delightfully awakened from her dreams of those hazel eyes, by whom, her phone ofcourse!

It was an emergency call! Yay! At five in the morning! Not so yay!

She put the phone down, rushed to get ready and drove off to the hospital.

Her morning began with a C- section and and then she had back to back deliveries. If anybody asked her the reason behind the increasing population, she would roll her eyes and ask the person to spend one day beside her, attending to the pregnant women of the city.

The answer would be well understood.

Things aside, she was late. The whole day has passed in the hustle bustle of the hospital and she conveniently forgot how her mother had called and asked her to come home earlier.

It was eight in the night and she was tired and driving back home. So much for being early.

As she stepped inside the house, she was greeted with her mother, who seemed ready to lecture her.

" Mehek."

She sighed, " Yes, mom!"

" I asked you to come early and you said, yes, so don't tell me you didn't read the message."

" Mom, I forgot."

Mehek's mother was literally pissed off, her daughter was getting on her nerves, " What do you mean, you forgot! It is your engagement we are working hard for! I do not gain a penny out of it!"

Mehek's temper grew at her statement but she stayed quiet, trying to not escalate the situation.

" You have no inputs for the ceremony which is a week away! Yes! A week away! The priest decided the dates and you do not have time to do things for your own functions!"

" Mom, how will I know it was a week away if you won't tell me?", Mehek asked.

" Really? Did you not read my message properly! Ahh, you must be busy! So busy that you do not care for others' time. I had appointments scheduled and you did not show up!"

" Did I ask you to make appointments?", Mehek could finally not control her temper.

" There are so many things to do and I expected you to show up and I booked appointments. What is wrong with that?"

Mehek looked at her mother, took a deep breathe and walked upstairs to her room.

" I do not wish to argue more on this. My bad, I don't value others' time.", And she shut the door to her room.

Mehek's mother stood in the living room, ready to explode, that child was utterly disrespectful and how will she ever survive in that house.

Mehek hugged her pillows tight and burried her face in the mattress. It was a long day and her mother just had to make the end of it, dramatic.

Her stomach grumbled but she paid no heed to it and clutched the pillow tighter.

Her phone rang. She grumbled but picked it up.

" Hello?"

" Mehek! Come downstairs, have your dinner and take a day off tomorrow! I don't have many days to waste on such arguments. Sort this out as soon as you can that is tomorrow!"

Mehek gasped at the phone and now it was slammed shut. Her mother called, warned her and hanged up on her.

She must really be pissed off.

Sighing, Mehek followed her orders and was soon found on the dining table having a late dinner, accompanied by the utensils.

She was eating her food when her fingers automatically found his contact.

Jigar

Her fingers hovered over it and in no time was she calling him.

The first time, a few rings went and she shied away, cutting the call.

She stared at his contact again and that's when the phone started to vibrate.

Jigar calling...

Mehek swallowed the mouthful and answered the call.

" Hello?"

" Hi, you called?"

" Yes, you...", She was unable to complete the sentence and Jigar chuckled.

" I always Marvel on how you could be so muffat  one moment and shy the next moment. Anyways, I'm glad it was you who called tonight."

Mehek's eyes crinkled with happiness while her blush knew no bounds, " So, how was your day?"

" Usual. Patients and then I had emergency while leaving so I just left the hospital."

" It is close to ten.", She checked the clock.

" Yeah. How was your day?"

" Well, my day started with an emergency section at five in the morning and ended at eight at night. Pretty busy."

Jigar chuckled, " Well that is the life of an obstetrician!"

She shrugged and looked up to see her mother staring at her, " One moment please.."

" Sure."

" Mom, you need something?", Mehek asked.

" You should have told me you were awake since five. I would have never booked those appointments.", The mother said emphatically.

" It was not your problem. I'm sorry the patients were so many and I didn't read your entire message, if I had none of these would have happened."

The mother nodded, " Now eat up! Tomorrow no hospital for you!"

" Okay mom!", Mehek surrendered.

Jigar was laughing on the other end, he surely heard the conversation, " You too are barred from hospital, tomorrow?"

" What do you mean, you too?"

Jigar said, " Well?"

" Oh! Good and now we are assigned the task of engagement shopping.", Mehek sighed.

Jigar sighed and said, " Yes. I hope you enjoy your day tomorrow, Mrs. Shah."

" I am not that."

" Yet.", He said in his hoarse voice and Mehek's voice got stuck in her throat.

She cleared her throat and said, " Well, talk to you tomorrow, then."

" Yes, good night Mrs. Shah."

Mehek's cheeks burnt hotter than ever, red and she was blushing like a newly wedded bride. Jigar sure knew how to make her blush.