Chapter 23

Taare hai barati aur chandani hai ye barat,
Saathon phere honge pure haathon me leke haath,
Jeevan saathi,
Diya aur baati hum.

The day the dress was bought, Mehek was not asked anything. She had merely nodded that this dress did look pretty on her. But the moment had arrived when she got to wear her bridal dress.

A traditional Gujarati Panetar, it was a mix of red and white designed to make the bride glow. Her forearms clad in bangles that chirped and highlighted her Henna clad hands. The letter J written across her palm in bold, J for Jigar was going to be the reality of her life ever since this moment.

She was surrounded by all her friends suggesting her poses for the wedding album as well as a few who were hauling the photographer!

The door opened and Mehek's mother, Sunita, came in and said, " Mehek, it's time to go."

Mehek nodded and soon her sisters and friends formed a trail in front of her, ready to lead her inside the Mandap. As they stepped outside her room, the brothers came holding the floral bedsheet and Mehek was standing under it, the sheet held above their heads by her brothers.

The bridal entry song was played and Jigar who was patiently waiting for his bride to arrive turned to look at her

The bridal entry song was played and Jigar who was patiently waiting for his bride to arrive turned to look at her. She was a mesmerizing sight, one he would never forget for the rest of his life.

Mehek sat beside him and they both followed the instructions given by the priest. Now, it was time for the application of vermillion and as Jigar leaned forward Mehek's eyes closed on their own accord. The red hue of the vermillion marked Mehek as Jigar's wife and he was beyond happy at the sight.

While settling back a part of the vermillion fell on Mehek's nose and the elders chuckled. Priya teased Jigar, " Seems like you will be loving her a lot..!"

Mehek blushed and Jigar's ears reddened. Renuka who stood behind Mehek noticed and remarked, " Ohho, jijaji to Sharma gaye!" ( Brother-in-law is getting shy)

Mehek sneaked a glance at him and tried very hard to control the chuckle ready to escape her mouth.

The priest commanded Jigar to tie the nuptial chain around her neck. Jigar followed while maintaining eye contact with her whose eyes were filled with joy.

The wedding finished after taking the vows around the holy fire and now Mehek was Dr. Mehek Jigar Patel. The couple took the blessings of the elders and were led to have some food.

The first bite of this journey was fed by the partner and then they could eat though not peacefully as they were constantly being teased. Jigar didn't pay heed to them but Mehek was turning red and redder by seconds. Finally Jigar leaned in and whispered into her ears, " Avoid them otherwise beetroot will also look pale compared to you!"

Mehek shivered as his breath damned her ears but as his words Registered she narrowed her eyes at him and he simply shrugged.

" Eat, eat, Bhabhi! You need lots of energy to tolerate this tycoon.", Teased another cousin of Jigar.

Mehek groaned but had her meal. Jigar completed his food and when the cousins had still not stopped teasing them he glared at them all and when they didn't succumb. He said, " You know Mehek, I had brought a lot of money but after listening to their endless teasing I have decided to donate the money!"

The cousins immediately shut up and pleaded, " Bhai, that's not fair! That money belongs to us. We promise we won't trouble you after this."

Jigar smirked and looked at Mehek who was having a sigh of relief.

After the meal was the Bidaai and Mehek hugged all her family members with all her might.

Mahesh was the last in the line and she kept her head on his chest and said, " Dad, promise you will take care of yourself and fight a bit lesser with my mother."

Mahesh chuckled and pulled her closer, " You should promise to take care of yourself and beta whenever there's anything going wrong you know I will always have your back."

Mehek sobbed harder into his chest and Mahesh shed a few tears after lots of controlling.

He guided her into the car and had her sit inside. Jigar sat on the other side and Mehek bid a teary eyed goodbye to her family. Her sobs still racking through her body.

Jigar silently forwarded his handkerchief towards her and she took it without any hesitation. As she stopped sobbing, Jigar intertwined their fingers. He was here, right beside her from this moment onwards till forever.