Chapter 9

Baatein kuch ankahi si,
Kuch ansuni si hone lagi hai...

Orders were placed and Mehek looked up at him and found him already looking at her. She looked into his eyes for a moment and those hazel eyes cast a spell upon her.

The eyes reflected her form but the beauty was amplified by the sincerity of his expression. His brows were furrowed and his eyes never left hers.

As if the couple was in a trance and the sound of a spoon clatter somewhere broke it apart.

Mehek glanced down on the table and Jigar looked around for a moment and back at her. He cleared his throat to grab her attention.

She looked up and he said, " Let's dig in. I suppose you must be hungry after the all nighter."

Mehek smiled and had a piece of her sandwitch.

Jigar smiled back and had a sip of his coffee.

Mehek observed that he ordered coffee whereas she ordered tea. She asked him, "Are you a coffee lover?"

" Yes, I love coffee."

She smiled and he asked, " What about you?"

" I prefer tea over coffee unless it is a long night."

" Oh. I used to have tea while in college..."

" Hai na? I was introduced to tea in internship and like there is no going back. In our college, coffee was available till midnight but the chaiwala ( tea-vendor) made tea on demand throughout the night. So, I gradually got accustomed to tea more than coffee." 

Jigar laughed and Mehek furrowed her brows.

" Was it funny?", She asked.

" No, I mean your excitement is really, what should I say, palpable." , He chuckled again, " I mean, I know now for a fact that I should take you on chai-vadapav sort of dates."

Mehek laughed at that and Jigar too laughed aloud.

" Definitely, those kind of dates truly define me."

Jigar nodded and made a mental note of the same.

Mehek looked at him and asked, " I never asked, where do you work? And where will we be living post.."

" Marriage?"

She nodded.

" Well, I work in a charitable hospital run by my friend's company, you must know, Shantiben Hospital in Bandra and we'll be living in our house which is located in Andheri."

" House, you mean flat, right?"

" No, I mean house."

Her eyes widened. He chuckled and said, " My father has his own set-up where he and mom had worked their whole lives. I did not join but you are free to work wherever you wish to."

She processed this information and suddenly she remembered, " I met your parents."

" I know. They were there when we came to your house."

" I mean before that! Your mom said she has some pain and came as a patient. Your dad was there too and then they left."

" You mean my parents presented as patients to you.", Jigar scowled.

" Your mom, precisely."

" No wonder she was so happy that day saying all good things about this alliance."

" What are you saying Jigar?", Mehek asked.

Jigar sighed, " My mom basically wanted to see how you are informally and you passed so she sang your praises the day before we came to meet you."

Mehek chuckled, " Glad I didn't fail."

" Oh, trust me!", Jigar laughed.

The food was finished and the duo realised their date had come to an end.

Jigar called for the bill while Mehek summoned courage.

Before Mehek could even glance at the bill, Jigar paid it off and Mehek glared at him only for him to say, " You decided the place, I paid. Next time, I decide the place and you pay. Fair?"

Mehek nodded her head and Jigar placed a hand on her upper back guiding them to the car.

Mehek gasped at his touch but said nothing enjoying the thousands of butterflies in her stomach.

Jigar opened the car door for her and she sat inside followed by him.

Once seated she asked him to have her dropped at the hospital and he conveyed the same to the driver.

She looked at him and with shaking hands out her hand on his. He could feel the shivers but said nothing and looked at her.

" When will I see you next?", She whispered.

His heart burst with happiness and he smiled and said, " Jab tum pyaar se bulaaogi, mein aa jaaunga" ( When you call me, I'll be there)

She chuckled, " Dialogue mat maaro aur bolo na!" ( Don't say dialogues and tell me!"

He laughed and pulled her a bit closer.

She gasped but complied.

" I know this is too close for first date but I want to tell you this is not a dialogue. I'll be there whenever you need me/ call me and can I hug you?", Jigar said the first part with passion and the question with innocence hard to be ignored.

Mehek chuckled but nodded her head.

He pulled her into a friendly hug and whispered, " Call me every night, before sleeping?"

" I will."

He smiled and let her go, " You have arrived madam."

She looked outside the window and then back at him, " Yes. Call me when you reach home, okay?"

" Yes.", He saluted.

She chuckled and got off the car only to rush inside the hospital to begin her day.

Jigar sighed and asked the driver to drop him back to hotel.

He had some last minute packing to do and then his duty was waiting for him.