Chapter 26: conflicts and confidence

After a few months and tons of physical therapy, I was back on my feet and working as hard as ever.

"Y/n! Reiner and Bertholdt, it's not a good idea!" I turned to Erwin as he hurried to catch up. He continued his pestering.

"Talking to them will not solve anything, they refuse to-"

"I doubt they're the masterminds you've been chalking them up to be. I know those boys. Their faces...they regretted what they did."

"Anyone can feel regret. I'm with Erwin, it's not going to help you or anyone else." Levi butted in, I jumped feeling my face flush at the sight of him sweating from his morning run.

"Look, I appreciate you both looking out for me but I really think I can crack this. I can at least find out why."

"Why are you suddenly so interested? Is it because their case is being discussed in court soon?" I bit my lip and weighed how I should give my answer.

"I had a dream, similar to the visions I get. I know that I need to talk to them. Today."

"Don't your visions usually appear in instances of near death?"

"Usually but this was different. I don't sense any danger at all." Levi stepped forward and I placed a hand on his chest.

"This is for me to do alone. Trust me. I'll be out in a minute." He sighed, I could feel the rapid thrum of his heartbeat.

"If they so much as-." I quickly kissed his cheek.

"i can take care of myself."

Erwin coughed quietly with a small smile playing on his lips.

As I descended the dungeon steps, my confidence began to fade.

" whatever happens, im glad shes okay." I halted at the sound of Bertholdts voice, my heartbeat quickened at the rasp of his breath.

My feet moved on their own as I turned the corner to see the both of them kneeling on the ground in chains.

Reiner was the first to glance up at me.

"Corporal." I held up my hand, he silenced himself. I sat on the floor opposite them.

"I know you both must have had your reasons. I'm not here to scream or antagonise you. I just...I just want answers." The boys regarded each other wearily.

"We didn't want it to get to this. The mar-"

"Reiner." Bertholdt whispered, worriedly. I took in their expressions and sighed.

"Were you put up to this? Or was it something that got out of hand."

"A bit of both." Reiner wearily breathed out and nodded to his friend.

"Okay. And revealing what got you into this would be-"

"Out of the question. Reiner and Annie will get-"

"Hurt? Just what do you think will be happening when you reach the court? Bertholdt, you've always been smart. What do you think will happen when you face the court when they know you're the three titans that caused mass genocide? Not to mention that you were undoubtedly tied with how Mike came to be murdered."

The image of that vision burned in the back of my mind as I looked at the boys.

"We never wanted that! That was all his idea! Mike was...he didn't deserve that."

"Nobody deserves to die the way that those poor people in shiganshina and wall rose did either. Just...help me understand. Please. "

They shared a look of pure fear and guilt.

"We can't." Bertholdt stated, voice wavering.

"Then...then I can't help you."

"We don't deserve your help anyway!"

"Reiner-"

"No! Y/n, we nearly killed you! We did kill you so why are you even giving us the time of day? We're monsters."

"I believe in answers and I refuse to believe you went after me because you hated me. The looks of guilt on your faces said it all, even now, I can see your regret. You're anomalies, capable of great and terrifying things. Whatever you both got dragged into...it doesn't change who you are. Remember that. Whoever got you into this mess had better be ready because we will find them. With or without your help."

"It's too dangerous. You already died once-"

"I'd do it again if it meant saving the people I care about." Bertholdt tensed.

With that final statement, I headed back up the stairs to find the corridor filled with cadets and Levi along with Erwin trying to calm Eren and Jean.

"This is all I fucking need." I sighed and walked through the crowd.

"If youre willing to act so fuckin' tough, hit me-"

"I would but that's animal cruelty. Horses get beaten up enough as it is."

"Don't you have a sister to fuck?"

My eyes widened as Eren tackled Jean to the ground.

I grabbed the collar of erens shirt, pulling him from Jean. He looked up to glare at me but stopped, his eyes widened as I stared at him.

"As you can tell, I'm not in the mood for cadets in the military to keep fighting like this. If you want to keep acting like five year olds, I can have you sent off to a kindergarten. This bullshit ends here and now."

"Well jean-"

"Do I look like I give a flying fuck about who started what? You should both know better. You'll be stable partners until you either resolve this odd sexual tension or until you learn to work together."

They both nodded, terrified by my tone. I released eren and straightened.

"The rest of you had better disburse unless you want to be on toilet and infirmary clean up duty for the rest of the year." The crowd scattered, levi smirked and Erwin wiped a hand over his face.

"You're spending too much time together."

"How did it go?" Levi questioned, gazing over me as if expecting them to have done anything.

"As I thought it would. Nothing worth noting, really." Erwin gave a knowing look and levi nodded.

"Well...in that case. Mind helping me out with this paperwork? We'll have to report on those two asshats fighting again." Erwin smirked.

"Okay, you two have fun with your paperwork."

"You sound just like that shitty glasses." Erwins cheeks turned pink, I shared a quick glance with levi before smirking at Erwin.

"Maybe you and hanji have used that excuse to sneak away. But we don't feelthe need to be so secretive." I mused, tapping the side of my neck. Erwins face flushed and he pulled his collar up a little higher.

Before he could retort, we hurried off to Levis office.

He opened the door and stepped aside for me to enter.

"So, Where's this paperwork?" I questioned, approaching the desk. The door clicked shut.

"It's right here." I turned to realize levi was closer than I had initially thought. He smirked and leaned closer.

"Behave yourself, y/n. We have legislations to read and future missions to plan." I sighed and sat into the chair.

"Treats are for after work."