Chapter 22: poorly successful

I left the building as I normally do and placed my cape on the floor and did some warm up stretches.

I then turned on my 3D manoeuvre gear and zipped off into the trees. The foam titan necks are harder to see at this time so I focused hard and quickly noticed a fake nape to my right.

I quickly sliced it and continued on feeling the power of the gear and enjoying the freedom it brings.

I fell to the ground with a blade in my back.

I quickly headed to the nearest tree branch out of breath.

Since when did my visions...talk?

I'm going to die here, it figures that they weren't going to capture me. They know I'm stronger. They know that I can't predict the random throwing of blades.

I felt a lump form in my throat as I heard someone whizzing towards me.

I jumped to a lower branch of another tree and ran before using my 3dmg again.

I have to continue training. If I end up with a blade sticking out of me then...so be it.

I slashed another foam nape and circled back towards the field when someone forcefully knocked into me.

I plummeted down and hit a bunch of branches. My 3dmg isn't releasing any hooks. I could feel a vision coming on when I finally got a grappling hook to attatch to a tree.

A blade flew towards me and I stiffly dodged. Not quick enough.

I leaned back into the tree and slid down.

It had sliced into my side and I couldn't contain the bleeding.

Four boots landed opposite me and I looked up.

"Reiner? Bertholdt?...why?" They both had a small look of guilt as they peered down at me.

They seemed truly remorseful when i smiled.

"Was I in the way of your training?" Reiner averted his eyes and Bertholdt shook slightly.

I could see our shadow soldiers quietly making their way over.

"We-We had to....you would've seen us c-coming!" Hanji was behind them and revealed the needles she had before carefully injecting the boys in their necks.

The dose was strong and they fell back.  Hanji helped me up before noticing my side.

"We've got to get you looked at."

It felt like hours as I watched the nurses frantically rushing to patch me up and find other medical supplies they needed.

I was then knocked out to keep me still during the procedure.

When I came to, it was rather dark though I could tell that it was the next day. I moved to sit up but felt an intense pain.

I hissed and immediately a hand went to my back.

I hadn't noticed Hanji. She lowered me back down and gave a weak smile.

"How're you feeling?"

"Like I fell out of a huge tree and got sliced by a Titan slaying weapon." I then noticed her eyes and felt regret for my wording.

"I feel...sore. the painkillers are starting to wear off...where's Erwin and Levi?" She was fumbling with her hands and sighed.

"They're arguing, I think. I got out of there pretty quick and thought I should sit with you...we shouldn't have talked you into it."

"You didn't talk me into anything, Hanji. I said I'd do it so-" the door slammed open and two more people were at the bedside.

One of them had taken hold of my hand but both were looking at me like I was a rabbit they'd accidentally shot.

"Sup?" Levi and Erwins mouths hung open and Hanji laughed, disturbing the other unfortunate souls in the infirmary.

"Sup? You've just been in and out of consciousness, we lost you for five minutes and all you can say is 'Sup?"

"You...lost me?" The three of them shared a glance.

"You bled out. You passed out and-" Levi couldn't will any more words to come out.

"Well...that was a one off. I refuse to die from blade throwing related incidents again." They all managed a small smile and I placed a hand on the one still resting on me.

"I'm not going anywhere in the near future. Unless...we defeat the titans in the near future. Then I'll be going somewhere. I...love you guys."

"Don't say that or we'll all start crying again!" I laughed a little at Hanji and everyone soon joined in.

Hanji stood and stretched.

"Well. Love to stay and chat but I have cadets to train and Bitters Berry experiments~"

"You're still working on that?"

"Well, I think the more bitters berries they consume around us, they may be threatened and believe that we aren't as delicious as they thought." I snorted a little.

"You'll see, Y/n! You'll see!" With that, she left and Erwin excused himself shortly after.

Levi took Hanji's vacant seat beside the bed.

"You scared us all, you know?" I sighed. I know that tone.

"It paid off though. We have proof of conspiracy, two titan shifters incarcerated. All with no major damage."

"Seriously? You call dying and having a major wound in your side and fractured leg as 'no major damage'?"

"I didn't mean to scare you." He bit his lip slightly and nodded.

"You mean...a lot to a lot of people. The cadets heard about everything this morning. That's why the infirmary's empty. We would have moved you but...after you bled out- heh, I-I" he seemed to struggle finding words. I looked down at our hands.

"when that blade hit me, so many things rushed through my mind."

His thumb rubbed across my knuckles.

"Mine too."