Chapter 6: Fighting

The last few weeks have been difficult. Obviously, every time we have a devastation as catastrophic as that, it's difficult to come back.

I took Mike's place in training the cadets. Which unfortunately was today. I love the little sluggers, Armin Reiner and Jean saved my life.

But training them?

That's a whole other ball field.

"Right, I want to see you all ready and rearing to go. Got it? Jaeger, I want you to spar with Connie. Mikasa, you'll be against Jean..." I listen off pairings and watched them get to it.

I watched the dual toned cadet against his crush. I rolled my eyes and walked over.

"Jean, a battlefield is a place where you let go of all feelings, got it? I get that you're friends but when you're against titans you need to focus on yourself and your mission. Remember Annie? She was your friend and you put all of that behind you. See mikasa as an enemy and go for it."

He gulped but nodded and they both got back into position. I smiled at the improved effort.

I then honed in on Connie and Eren. I stopped them and stood behind Connie and took his arms.

"When you swing a knife keep your grip tight and be more swift like this." I moved his arms in a more precise cutting motion.

"That'll help you with your control and your balance. You were flailing around before." I stated and let him go, they started fighting with Connie being more efficient with his moves.

Once I was satisfied, i got everyone to switch partners and sat down on a tree stump.

"Tch I almost feel bad for you being stuck with training those brats." I smiled slightly as corporal tight pants stood beside me.

"They aren't as bad as you think. They're rather sweet." I  said maintaining my focus on the cadets.

"Alright, you can have a break, have some water and a rest." Everyone cheered and headed off inside. "I expect you all back in ten!"

They all shot thumbs up in understanding.

"Why are you going easy on them? You were a bitch with me." I rolled my eyes with a chuckle.

"Yeah? Well you deserved it, I needed to drill you down from a criminal into a cadet. That wasn't easy, might I add."

"You were nicer to Isobel and Farlan too."

"As I said, they were sweet. They adapted quicker than you did. You're just stubborn."

"And yet you never gave up." I rolled my eyes at that.

"I could see your potential. Even though I'm six years younger, I understand pain when I see it. I knew that if I worked you more you would project that into training."

"That's shitty logic."

"It worked though, didn't it?" He chuckled. It was velvety and beautiful. Like a hot chocolate on a cold day.

I smiled and looked at him to find him watching me.

"That's the first you've smiled in a few days." I looked down.

"Yeah." He sighed and patted my shoulder in sympathy.

"A woman once told me that grief is a downward escalator keeping you from moving forward and that to make it easier you take each step as it comes and it'll slowly get easier." I rolled my eyes.

"You're quoting me now?" He clicked his tongue.

"Don't get used to it. You're usually a dumbass but...you were smart with that" i looked up at him.

"Did the Levi Ackerman just call me smart?"

"Do you have selective hearing or something? Because i also called you a dumbass."

The rest of the day ran smoothly but i was still exhausted by the end of it as I sat in between Erwin and Levi.

"How were the cadets?" Humanities largest eyebrows questioned. I shrugged.

"They're okay but half of the time they don't know what they're doing. Though i'm optimistic that I will have them in top shape once I'm done."

Levi clicked his tongue before having a sip of his tea.

"That's good to hear how you're getting on with them." I nodded.

"Since when has she not gotten along with people? I have yet to see a single person not like her." Hanji commented before biting into her bread.

I sighed and couldn't help my eyes from wandering to the empty seat, my throat tightened as though I'd tried to swallow a golfball.

Levi seemed to notice and kicked me from beneath the table.

"What?"

"Don't keep thinking about it. You look constapated" i rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, as if i care about how I look in a time like this." I rolled my eyes and our friends watched us in slight amusement.

"Yeah, i can tell you don't care. Your shirt's not even buttoned up right." I looked down in shock to see the top three buttons of my shirt had come loose during cadet training.

"Why didn't you say anything sooner?" He shrugged.

"I thought I'd see how long it'd take you to realize." He spoke hiding his smirk behind the cup.

"Some friend you are." I muttered.

"Ooh, you're friends now?~" Hanji joined in the teasing. Erwin smiled as the three of us teased each other.

I rolled my eyes with a smile before Jean marched over to us.

"y/n, can I talk to-"

"No brat, get lost." I looked at levi with my mouth agape in shock. Why the sudden mood swing?

"Of course, what's up?"

" i wanted to know if you were cadet X that the reports were based on. We found a bunch of old papers under the floor boards in the girls dorm and-"

"What were you doing in girls quaters Jean?"

"W-we're all friends sir and like to meet up together sometimes." Jean stammered as he blushed from Levi's intense glare. Poor guy's flustered.

I kicked the corporal under the table and turned to Jean.

"I'm sorry but Cadet X is classified to squad leaders and commanders." Levi rolled his eyes and Jean thanked me before leaving.

"What the hell was that?! You can't just throw your bitchy attitude to anyone who wants to talk. I get that you want to feel superior but Maria, some manners would go a long way."

Before he could make a comeback I sighed.

"I know it's how you are but please be gentle with him. That mere cadet helped to bring me home. Besides, he lost someone too, Annie killed his best friend yet he still gets up and keeps going. He deserves at least a little bit of recognition for that." The ravenette nodded and sipped his tea.

"Do you have a crush on him or something y/n? You're awfully attatched~" I flushed and our dear commander and corporal both choked on their drinks.

Without dignifying her with a responce, I briskly walked away.