Chapter 36: changes

The hearing was dull as I sat before the king and every other member of his council.

"You singlehandedly ended an entire hoarde of titans, is that correct?"

"Yes."

"And this was using your powers that we previously believed were visions of the future?"

"Yes." I tried not to sigh of boredom. His line of questioning wasn't getting us anywhere.

"Care to elaborate exactly how?"

"I connected to them through a mental channel that I had created. I then willed them to take their own lives to save my comrades." Whispers grew but I stayed still, trying to steady the anxiety seeping through my bones.

"Could you direct that level of power to humans?" There it is.

"No. Well...not entirely. The only reason I could get through to the titans was because they don't necessarily have much of a thought process. They aren't as complicated as people."

"So what can you do to people?"

"I can talk to them. Mentally. I can read minds a little.I've not really experimented with it as the act makes me faint." The weight of stares started to make me shake.

" Has your practicing been supervised? Do you think you could get used to this mind reading business?"

"Are you implying that after all of my efforts to save humanity, I'd attack my own people?"

"Answer the question!"

"I don't know." I glanced around at the jury, erwin was holding both Hange and Levi back by their collars. It was almost comical watching an outraged man holding back two others of the same temperament.

"If you could do it to the titans-"

"They don't have the same strength of consciousness we have as i have already told you. No matter how many times you reword or rephrase your questions, the answer will always be the same. I dont plan on harming anyone."

"But if someone paid you? Would you consider?"

"Against all popular belief, I have morals, Councillor. "

"But you killed someone before. A knife to the head."

"She saved my life!" Every head whipped to Levi as he fumed.

"She is so much better than me. If I was fucking tied to a chair and interrogated for hours after a mission as brutal as the one we've just returned from...its- she's saved many lives. We only had three casualties! the lowest we've had in a long ass time so don't sit there all high and fucking mighty pressing judgement down on her like she's a fucking criminal. Instead get those titan shifters out of our basement and put them on trial!" Levi yelled, the room was filled with whispers and mutterings.

Heads turned to me.

"Do you believe you could hone your powers to disarm our enemies once we eradicate the titans?" I stared at the king.

"Its difficult enough saying more than a few words to one person, nevermind an army." The king gave a small nod.

"Then it's done. Y/n. You will stay with the survey corps under Hange Zöe's supervision. She will monitor you and help work towards building your endurance to these powers of yours. Now. Untie her before Smith looses his grip on the Corporal." I was grateful the only restraints were around my legs and torso.

A chest was immediately in my face and nearly threw me back.

"They're assholes."

"Eren, as nice as a bone crushing hug is, I'd like to get up now." He laughed and stood back, helping me out of the chair only to be smothered in a group hug by all of the cadets bar mikasa whom just patted my head.

Once the small crowd parted, i was swept up by hange and twirled like a ragdol.

"Right, okay. What part of shes tired and aching do you not understand?" I glanced over hanges shoulder to the smiling face of levi. My heart thumped.

"Woah! Levi! Your face is lifting! You look so youthful!" Hange joked, his face immediately fell. I wriggled out of hanges arms and grasped at levis hand, smiling before addressing the rest of our friends.

"Lets get out of here."

The HQ was filled with cheers, drinks and, much to levis dismay, dancing. The celebrations for our latest and biggest success was fully underway as I took a seat opposite Levi.

"You should be resting." I rolled my eyes.

"You're talking as if I didn't sleep on the way back. I'm fine. Really." He stared at me as I reached over the table for his hand.

"Lets lighten up. We just killed a whole hoarde of titans! You should be shaking your tiny ass on the dance floor. Not telling me to go to bed as if you're my grandpa." He rolled his eyes and stood.

"I'll have you know my ass is not tiny." I laughed as he guided me to the dancefloor.

"And for the record, you killed the titans. Not us. we're celebrating you." He mused softly as he spun me round, smiling slightly as I stumbled back into his arms as we swayed peacefully amongst our peers.

"We'll kill all the bastards! Soon they will learn what it's *hic* like to be extinct!"

"Jean, I think I'll take tha-"

"No! This is mine!" Jean screeched at Eren, cradling his tankard to his chest as if it were his child.

I laughed at the sight of Jean's extreme pouting when levi turned us.

"I want your attention on me." I felt my jaw drop as he pulled me in closer.

"O-kay. I've never seen this side of you before." He leant closer, his chest pressed against mine as he smirked.

"Are you complaining?"

"...no."

"Y/n!" Levi stepped back from me as Hange draped an arm over my shoulders.

"How's it feel being saviour of humanity?"

"I killed a bunch of titans with countless others beyond the walls, I dont-"

"Well. One leap forward is still progress. You should give yourself more credit!"

"You're drunk."

"Ah, no. No I'm not."

"...Right... youre just tipsy."

"Yeahhhh! Yeah. Tipsy turvy."

"Maybe you should find erwin."

"Winny!!" She drunkenly strutted to our confused commander and threw her arms around him. I glanced to levi, completely shocked.

"Winny?" Levi questioned, I laughed and he quickly pulled me to the side as sasha and Connie fell to the floor.

"Maybe...we should call it a night." I mused, glancing around at the frivolous chaos surrounding us. Levi nodded and took my hand, leading me through the chaos towards the doors.

"You leaving already? Funs just started." We glanced to Ymir as she sipped her drink.

"By fun you mean blackmail material." I said, she laughed.

"Maybe."

We moved on and stepped out of the hall, sighing with relief.

"As much as I love this place, that party was..."

"Too fucking loud. Could we...catch some fresh air before heading up?" I nodded and we changed course into the fresh tranquil breeze. I took a deep breath and sat on the lush grass beside Levi.

"You never offer to get fresh air. Are you okay?"

"I wanted to get you alone out here." I quirked a brow as he glanced up at the stars, his hair blowing gently with the movement.

"I want to get you to myself because with the schedules changing, we won't see each other as often. And I want to ask you something." I nodded.

"You can ask me anything." He glanced to me with a look I haven't seen on levis face in a long time.

"Marry me?"