Chapter 34: Shiganshina

Shiganshina was bleak and lifeless as we traveled through, glancing in every direction ready for something to jump out at us. My heart raced as I glanced to my older self.

"Where exactly are we going?"

"There's another church up ahead intact. Erwin and the others will choose it to set up camp. They're a few hours out if they're as punctual as they were last time." The church loomed ahead, overgrown with moss. Birds flew around happily nesting in the foundations of the crumbling building.

"It's strangely beautiful." I whispered, she shrugged.

"I spend a lot of time in dilapidated holy buildings. I never got a good solid answer as to why my life turned out this way. " we dismounted and tied the horses to a nearby ,oddly sturdy fence.

"When you said you're going to die today...does that mean you're seriously going to sacrifice yourself?" Her face clouded, she curtly nodded.

"I can't risk you dying. Not again. I'm sure that this is the answer. When I pass, my powers should transfer to you as I've absorbed them from you over the years. I told you on the ride here how to best use them. Once you receive my full power, you should innately be able to use them and end this war. What you do afterwards is completely your choice." I nodded, glancing down at my hands.

"A life without war...I never thought I'd see it. But...marley. if what you said was completely true, we'd surely have to go over there to create some kind of truce. Right?"

"I guess but that would be for the monarchy to work on. After this, you should be free." I nodded, chewing my lip.

"Wait! That's- that's Y/ns horse!"

"Levi-" I ran to the door just as he pulled it open. His arms circled my waist in an instant, his head rested on my shoulder.

"You're okay." I chuckled and pulled away.

"Of course I am but...let's not do this in front of the others. There's someone I'd like you to meet." I mused, guiding him to where my senile self sat, watching us with a small smile.

"Hi levi." He looked between us, his confusion building with every glance.

"This is y/n. Me from...another timeline."

"I'm pretty much a guardian angel, if youd believe that kind've thing."

"Oh...but you're...you must be in your sixties." She sighed, clearly irked by the comment.

"It's a long story."

"So you never had any relationship with me?"

"No. Only the brief one I had with Mike." Levis head snapped to me as I blushed.

"Before we met, when I first started out...Mike and I were together. Only for a month though. Didn't...work out." I quickly explained, the older me smiled and looked at levi.

"You take care of her well."

" I try."

"Well-"

"Oh my Maria!!! Woah! You are a freak of nature!"

"Hange!" Erwin exclaimed, she paid no attention and examined my older self.

"Woah. This really is insane. An alternate version of our y/n, did you say? Is this something to do with your powers or maybe a strange invention?" My older self shook her head.

"I don't think so. I always chalked it up to being gods plan. I was your y/n once, a long time ago now. I was killed with Farlan and Isobel and yet...came back to guide y/n, to save her." Levis expression was unreadable as he watched her.