Chapter 14: Awkward Encounters

The room was silent as I worked on my reports of how well my survival lessons are being received by fellow soldiers.

The exams I performed brought out terrible results resulting in Jean nearly using nightshade as soap and three older soldiers were sent to the infirmary for eating poisonous berries.

The only one who was able to get a mediocre score was levi. And that was enough to irritate me.

"if some soldiers can't tell soapwort from nightshade, how am I ever going to  get them to learn basic survival."

"hey, Erwin wants your papers in." I glanced up as the short corporal took a seat opposite me. " hanji's going to check on Sarah whilst she's on errands."

"alright, he'll have them once I'm done." Levi shrugged and sat opposite me.

He glanced over me as if trying to work something out. I just ignored and got back to signing and writing.

"Glad I don't have to babysit you anymore." He mused and i rolled my eyes as I continued writing.

"We can both agree with that."

"Really? So that almost ki-"

"I was sick, okay? So if you're going to sit here and try to distract me then you know where the door is. I am busy with these reports and I'd rather do them without this small talk." My cheeks flushed at the memory and he let out a chuckle under his breath.

His chair scraped slightly as he stood.

"Just- make sure you give Eyebrows those papers." I raised my head and the door shut behind him.

I grinned as I piled up my reports and marched them to Erwins office. Now i can relax for a few hours!

I knocked gently. When I got no reply, I opened the door to find Erwin dozing off at his desk.

So much for my work being desperately needed.

I carefully placed the stack into his tray.

"Anyway, yo-" levi sounded as he entered from Erwins private quarters.

I quickly turned away with a red face.

The door slammed closed and a faint voice sounded.

"Why didn't you say something?"

"Well I didn't know you were having a shower in there! Plus Erwins asleep."

I looked to the desk to find the blond sitting up and rubbing his eyes a little.

"Well...you should have woken him up!" He argued back from behind the door.

Now that the commander was awake, nobody could avoid the sound of his stifled laughter. Now that he has pieced the situation together. That only added to the torment and embarassment of the situation.

"You choose to wake up now? you bastard!" Levi yelled.

"Just give it a rest Levi, it's not like I saw anything. Since when were you self conscious about being shirtless?" He clicked his tongue.

"Thanks for the report Y/n, I'll be sure to have a read through. Please make sure that you knock firmly to avoid nearly naked people." Erwin fitted in.

I nodded with a beet red face and left the room feeling much less enthusiastic as i had felt walking in to the office.

"Corporal Y/n, can you help me a little more with identifying safe berries. Specifically if the yellow orange berries growing on the outskirts of the courtyard are safe?" I rose a brow in confusion and thought back to what he could be referencing.

"Can you show me?" Armin nodded and took my arm before dragging me behind him slightly in a run.

Once we got there, I spotted Jean groaning  on the floor and ran to look over the berries. Yellow, growing from where the leaves meet the stem.

"Bitters berries." I knelt down. " how many did you eat?"

"One." I nodded.

"Good. Lucky for you, these berries only cause stomach pain and diarrhea. You're lucky it's not worse. Don't eat something when you don't know what it is." I scolded before standing and looking to Reiner.

"Now, why did he take the berry and why didn't anyone stop him?"

"He wanted to show he wasn't a chicken. He's not dea-"

"But he could have. None of you would have known any better." I looked to the teen still on the floor.

"Come on big guy." I huffed as I got his arm around my shoulder and helped him to the infirmary.

"I'm sorry."

"I know. I'm not going to tell you off because you're feeling the effects." He lurched forward and I shifted his weight to stop him from falling.

"Y/n~ oh, what happened?" Hanji questioned as she jogged to catch up.

"He ate a bitters berry." The scientist giggled a little.

"Why would he... what if we gave some to titans?"

"They'd puke it back up...?" She seemed crazed.

"Here we go." Jean muttered under his breath.

"But it'd still go to their stomach...we could repel them! Got to go, new experiments await~" and with that, the mad scientist zoomed off.

I shrugged and turned the corner and took Jean to the infirmary.

"He's eaten some bitters in the courtyard." The head nurse rolled his eyes.

"Right, leave him with me. Don't worry kid, most people did something stupid to end up in here too."

I sighed as I got back to my room and opened the door.

" i was wondering when you'd get back." Walking into the room, i turned to let Levi in  before closing the door.

"So what's-"

"I think there's something we need to talk about." He spoke seriously with his arms folded and his steel gaze burning into my eyes.

A/n:

*bitters berries are actually American Bitters which cause the same symptoms.

Don't be like Jean, stay safe.