Chapter 4: Care

I sighed as I wandered around the patients.

"Corporal." A soldier winced and I quickly tended to his leg.

"It's great to see you back and alright. Your story will be talked about. How you survived beyond the walls and still came back to us. To fight. " I smiled softly.

"Thank you soldier however, it isn't all as brilliant as you think. I just spent six years running and hiding and I came back to fight. You are the real hero Leon. You have fought all of this time not running once." His eyes went wide and he stuttered.

"You remember me? I thought you had amnesia." I gently took his hand.

"We trained together. Of course I remember. Get some rest now, okay? You need it." He nodded and leaned back before I made my rounds on the others.

Everyone had questions and queries about my survival and the world beyond the walls. I would answer them as softly as possible, I learned in the past that giving patients anxiety never ends well.

I shook my head and was dismissed by the staff of the infirmary. I headed straight to the roof and sat there admiring the view of the gardens. Everything's serene now but in a few hours, everything will be back to chaos. I let out a breath and looked to the sky.

"Hey, Isobel, Farlan. I don't know if you can both hear me. I mean, I talk to you pretty much all of the time- but I saw Levi again." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

"You would be so proud of him. He's used his skills for good. Still the same prat he was six years ago... I'll keep my eye out for him and watch over him. It's the least I could do."

"Corporal L/n!" I jumped and turned to see one of the injured soldiers.

"Viner, what are you doing out of bed? You shouldn't be using the crutches yet." He huffed.

"Well you know us soldiers ma'am, We're stubborn."

"Well, at the minute You're not being stubborn, You're being reckless. Recklessness gives you infections and infections lead to amputations and working in the farms." I said gesturing to his heavily injured leg and the deep cuts.

He poured as I lead him out.

"What did you want to talk to me about before I changed the subject?" I questioned.

He tensed slightly and his coral eyes glanced at me before he let out a breath.

"You're in trouble. I can't say why or how but I had a nightmare and-"

"It was all in your head, I can handle myself."

"Yeah but you know dreams have some truth. Please, at least be more careful." The look in his eyes held concern and fear, I couldn't look away , I couldn't refuse that request.

"I...will tread more carefully, Okay? Now, lie down and Please, stay in bed." I spoke as I lay him into the bed softly before allowing the nurse to take over.

I sighed as I left once again. I wonder if Levi's okay. He hurt his leg super bad after the last mission. I hope they aren't destroying Sina too bad. The rich never had to care about titans before.

*time skip*

I sighed as I paced around Erwins office. I've done all of my tasks in the infirmary, filed his paperwork, cleaned the dungeons and the kitchen. Hell, I even swept the floors of the castle.

I looked out of the window and gasped as I saw a blonde girl encased in a blue crystalline thing. I bolted outside and immediately found Levi.

"Levi! Hanji! Thank God you're Okay." I exclaimed and the bespectacled scientist seemed more sombre and I noticed the lack of Erwin.

"He was arrested?" I asked. Levi's eyes widened a fraction.

"What lead you to that conclusion?"

"He lied about handing over Eren and acted on a whim probably causing many casualties due to this Annie person being a bit of a nut job. "

"His hearing is soon. We can't do anything now though. We're returning to HQ." I groaned.

"But I've just done a thorough clean and sterilized the infirmary."

"What?" Levi questioned intrigued.

"I was bored so I decided to make myself useful."

We all  entered the foyer and the small corporal beside me gave a small nod.

"Your cleaning is... surprisingly high standard. I expected you'd just half ass sweep the floor and be done with it." I rolled my eyes and nudged him a little getting a glare in response.

"Alright, let's do as the commander says and start packing and getting ready for the move. All we can do is hope that they see his reasoning." Hanji stated before leaving us.

The silence was deafening as we made our way up the stairs.

"Have you remembered anything else yet?" 

"No? At least, nothing important. I remember my early training and the people I lost along the way. Oh! And I remember training you, Isobel and Farlan. The stuck was so far up your ass I could use you as a scarecrow."

A hint of a smile formed on his face before disappearing once again.

"You used to say that fucking line all of the time."

"Didn't make it any less true." He rolled his eyes and opened the door to his office.  "You cleaned up my paperwork."

"Of course I did. Your desk was swimming in it." He rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue before completely entering his room.

I went into mine and smiled slightly. He'll never change though I'm glad that I don't have to put him into his place. His attitude used to drive me insane.

Those memories are definitely some of my best.

I sighed and grabbed a bag from under the bed. A book fell out and I hesitated in sudden interest.

Why would Petra hide a book under her bed?

Hesitantly, I picked it up and opened it. My heart tightened when I realised the writing format, a testament to who she was, so intimately written. Her diary.

I read through the last entry.

Dear diary,
We're going on a new expedition outside the walls today. Though I feel confident in Levi and the others, I still feel jitters. What if I don't make It?

I know it's silly but I can't help but think about my own mortality sometimes.

I shut the book, I didn't know this girl but even I can't just read a dead girls diary. Especially not the entries made on her final day.

Without thinking, I left my room and knocked on Levi's door.

"Name and business."

"Y/n-" I choked up a little and he opened the door and side stepped allowing me to enter.

I wiped my eyes.

"Sorry. I found something of Petras. Her diary. I thought that her father would be happy to have it." He looked at me as though I had lost all sense.

"That's why you created a racket outside of my door?"

"I was being empathetic. I can't help but imagine the loss of the soldiers families. Petra was one of your officers, please don't undermine what I'm saying. I thought you'd-"

"Don't bring them into this."

I Straightened out my posture and held out the book.

"Sorry. I got ahead of myself." He clicked his tongue but had a soft gaze in his eyes.

"It's fine. I forgot how empathetic you are. Just don't go on an emotional tangent in front of me." It was that moment that I could see through his eyes, his suffering and mourning.

He took the book. And gestured for me to leave, I obliged.