Chapter 5: Freedom

Today was slow working with the sick and exhausted soldiers. They were all too exhausted to talk or perhaps it's the trauma of the expedition beyond the walls with Eren.

"Corporal?" I turned and sat beside the wounded man. "How- how was it beyond the walls?"

I smiled and took the young man's hand.

"Well, I don't know how to describe it. The meadows were endless, there were no rules or curfews. I guess...i guess it was freedom. It wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination but it's the closest thing to freedom that we can feel." He nodded and smiled slightly.

"I hope we all feel real freedom one day."

I froze as I heard footsteps. Everyone in the bay seemed to freeze in shock and anxiety.

"The titans have breached wall rose!" My eyes widened at the yelling outside. No. They  couldn't have.

One of Mike's squad members entered.

"Corporal Y/n, we need to evacuate our wounded! I'll keep the wagon safe. Come on." She said and we helped everyone out.

Luckily there were only a couple of them who had leg injuries.

We rode alongside Mike and the cadets for a little bit.

"I'll go distract them! All of you work on evacuation!" I felt a burning in my stomach.

I gasped as something entered my brain. It was a vision.

I couldn't hear anything but I saw a giant furry titan say something to Mike who was in the clutches of multiple titans. They all devoured him.

I was snapped into reality.

" Mike Don't, please stay here!" I yelled. He seemed to understand why I said it. Although he seemed shocked.

He turned anyway.

"NO! please, you Don't understand! You're going to die! I saw It!" I yelled.

"We fight for humanity, if I die then so be It!"

I felt a tear escape my eyes and I turned the medical wagon  heading over to the gate.

"We're all g-going to die."

"Tch I became a soldier to fight not be pitied in a med wagon."

I sighed at the people whispering behind me and urged the horses to move faster.

I am not ignoring Mike's and Erwins wishes that I stay alive and safe.

*time skip*

We stayed at the HQ in the inner wall for a while. All of the patients were safe and accounted for, the soldier who accompanied me (whom I learned was called Rosanna) headed back to the war zone leaving me alone to care for everyone.

I did the rounds and handed everyone bread and water with a side of potatoes since its all we had. I then sat down.

I gasped as everyone came back and I rapidly ran from the infirmary.

I looked around for Mike.

"Mike? Mike?!" I called but when I saw Jeans face, I knew.

I was right.

I shook my head rapidly before staring at the floor. I should have stopped him, I should have insisted.

A hand was gingerly placed on my shoulder.

"You look like shit." I scoffed and glared at the stoic man before me. I was not ready to put up with his crap.

"I look like shit? I look like SHIT? How dare you. How fucking dare you say that to me after I worked my ass off to transport mardy soldiers back here. I saw one of my best friends- who I cared about greatly- die by the hands of five titans. That's right! Fucking FIVE. Don't you even fucking think about talking about how I look."

Everyone seemed taken aback by my outburst. The usually sweet and caring corporal has grown fed up.

I yanked my arm away and ran to my room. I didn't even care to look back as I ran. I slammed the door, locked it and curled up on my bed in self pity.

It wasn't long before a knock sounded at the door. I stayed silent.

A sigh of desperation sounded from behind the door, one that I instantly knew belonged to Levi.

"Look i'm-"

"I don't care just leave me alone."

"You can't keep yourself in there. You need to eat."

"Then I'll leave when I'm hungry." I retorted mockingly. He was silent.

"Will you at least listen"

"I don't have to listen to a word you say. Leave me alone and do your paperwork or whatever you do in your free time."

"I can't exactly do my paperwork if you've locked yourself in my fucking room." My eyes widened in realization.

Shit. I have Petras room which is next door and he has my old room.

I groaned and wiped my face furiously before getting up and smoothing out the bed sheets. I then opened the door. Before he could say anything, I ducked past him but he was fast and caught my arm.

"Just listen to me for one second. I was insensitive and I should have thought it through. I forgot that you sometimes have visions or that you would be affected by Mike's death-"

I sighed.

"No, I should apologise. You always feel better insulting people and I was already worked up from driving sick people and seeing him die that I took my anger out on the closest person."

He turned me to face him gently. Before I could question him, he took out a tissue and handed it over as he guided me to walk down to the mess hall.

"You need to wipe your eyes or they'll get sore." My jaw dropped in surprise.

"Wow, you really do care!"

"Don't be stupid. I just don't want to be responsible for you having sore eyes and not being able to do your job." I laughed as we approached the room.

"Here's the normal old Levi." He looked amused.

"last time I checked, I'm only six years older than you." I rolled my eyes and entered the hall.

Hanji bounded over and wrapped me into a protective and tight hug. I silently returned it. Tears began brimming my eyes.

The hall seemed to go quiet, people were clearly still surprised by what I said. Either that or they want to see the drama.

"Was he in pain?" She questioned and I nodded into her shoulder.

"They killed him slowly. I tried to stop him but-"

"It's not your fault." I pulled away to Hanji to see Erwin beside us. 

Levi nodded to me from beside him. I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand.

"Thank you." We all then headed to the table and attempted to ignore the empty seat of Squad leader Mike.