thirteen

*2 months later*

ethan's pov
i knocked on kailyns front door and awaited an answer. after not getting one, i wiggled the door handle to see if it was unlocked, which it was. i entered into the quiet house and walked into the kitchen where i saw mrs. reed leaning against the counter, her arms holding her up. she did not look good.

"kailyn and her dad are on a mission. they won't be back until tomorrow." it seemed like she struggled to get the words out.

i furrowed my eyebrows, confused why i didn't know about this mission. it must be very serious if they didn't tell anyone. but right now my focus was on the very sick-looking woman in front of me.

"mrs. reed are you okay?" i cautiously stepped closer.

"yea im f-fine." she tried to wave me off but her body stumbled the second she lifted her hand up.

i ran to her side to catch her and she rebalanced herself. "we need to get you to the hospital." i tried to get her to come with me but she refused.

"ethan i told you i'm f-" her sentence was cut off when she fell to the ground. panicked, i pulled out my phone and called 911.

five minutes later, i heard sirens outside and paramedics rushed in. they put her on the stretcher and wheeled her out, loading her into the back of the ambulance. i hurriedly jumped into my car and followed them.

~

i sat in the waiting room tapping my foot, waiting to hear the news. i've been arguing in my head for the past forty five minutes debating whether i call mr. reed or not. his wife is in the hospital possibly dying but he's on a very serious mission. if they get distracted by me calling them, one of them could be seriously hurt and end up here in one of these rooms. i can't let that happen.

"are you a relative of mrs. reed?" a doctor said catching my attention. i nodded not even thinking twice.

"she's currently in ICU. we're trying our best but the cancer has really taken over her body." he gave me a sympathetic look to which i only nodded at. i can't stay here anymore.

~

i woke up the next day in my bed. i immediately got dressed and had breakfast before leaving and heading to kailyns house. i saw her dads truck in the driveway and was relieved.

i knocked on the door and mr. reed answered. "now is really not a good time. kailyns sleeping and im trying to figure out where my wife ran off too. she's not answering her phone." i finally noticed the stressed out look on his face.

"that's actually what i came to talk to you about. she's in the hospital." his eyes shot up from the ground and looked my dead in the eye. i pulled him outside, closing the door behind him.

"i came over yesterday to see kailyn because i wasn't aware you guys were gone. she collapsed in front of me. she's currently in ICU and the doctors aren't sure if they can save her. they said the cancer has really taken over her body." tears fell down from his eyes as he bit his lip, nodding.

"okay. can you do me a favor?" i nodded quickly. "don't tell kailyn about this yet." i furrowed my eyebrows. her mom is in the hospital dying and she's not suppose to know?

"it's just that she just had a very hard and stressful mission. it was honestly a close call to her being right in that hospital with her mom. and she just grew a close bond with her mom over the past two months after they didn't talk for weeks. i just really don't want to put this load of stress on her." i nodded understanding where he was coming from.

"can you come back in a few hours and keep her company? im gonna go to the hospital." he turned back around to go inside and get his keys.

"yea i can do that." i turned around and started walking back to my car.

"and ethan." i turned back around to look at him.

"thank you." i could tell he really meant it.

"of course."

~

it had been three hours since i talked to mr. reed so i had made my way back to kailyns house. i knocked and shortly after, she answered the door.

"oh hey ethan. what are you doing here?" she looked at me in confusion as i stepped inside.

"what? i can't come see my favorite person?" i quickly made up an excuse.

"grayson isn't here though." she joked making me smile.

"damn guess i gotta look somewhere else." i joked back to which she laughed at.

"im glad you're here. my dad texted me saying they were at my moms doctors appointment so it's just me for a while and im bored." she flopped on the couch turning her attention back to the tv.

guilt ate me inside making me want to tell her everything but i couldn't. i promised her dad that i wouldn't. i sat next to her on the couch where we watched tv.

~

we had been watching tv and talking for the next two hours before we heard the door open. we turned our attention to see her dad. i immediately noticed his puffy cheeks and red eyes. my heart dropped thinking about what would come out of his mouth.

"where's mom?" kailyn asked in confusion. fuck.

"she's- um...she's gone."