ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁰⁰⁹

˗ˏˋ the battle of starcourt pt. 2 ! ˎˊ˗

⋆⁺₊⋆  ⋆⁺

MATILDA CAMPBELL had died.

Well, her heart stopped, but her mind was still active. When Matilda stopped breathing, a white light overwhelmed her, and she was sent into a dream-like state.

The girl let her eyes slowly open, to see that she was standing in a field. Matilda was confused, worried. Was this heaven?

"Bug?"

Only one person had ever called Matilda that. But that person was dead. How was she hearing her voice? "Mom?" Matilda hesitantly responded and turned around— before her stood Laurie Henderson. Matilda smiled, running to embrace her mother. "What happened? How are you here?"

Laurie pulled back from her and smiled to her daughter. "I have to show you something." Matilda's brows furrowed, and Laurie took her hand. She started walking through the field, stopping when the land dipped down. Matilda followed her mom's gaze, landing on a mother and daughter having a picnic. They were laughing. They looked happy.

"Do you remember this day?" Laurie asked. Matilda shook her head. "This was when your father left. You didn't know that, of course. I told you he was going on a trip and would be back soon. Maybe I secretly believed he would come back." She chuckled. "I took you out on a picnic, trying to push the pain away. This was one of the happiest days of my life."

Matilda turned to her mother, tears in her eyes.
"I remember now. You made us sandwiches, and brought along a tiny strawberry shortcake. Because it was my favorite."

Laurie nodded. "You were such a strong kid. I didn't want to push it on you so soon though. You were so young when it happened."

Matilda watched her younger self as she smiled and happily shoved cake in her mouth.

"Follow me." Laurie took her daughter's hand again, and when Matilda turned around, she was at the front steps of her old house.

They walked through the door, and memory Laurie was sprawled on the couch. There were empty beer bottles around. Matilda scrunched her nose as she watched a younger version of herself, around 14 or 15, walk out of her bedroom. "Mom! Mom, hello? Mom?"  Young Matilda found her mom, and sighed. She began to clean up after her.

"You never talked to me about this though." Laurie said quietly.

"Mom—"

Laurie shook her head, "No. You should have hated me, but you didn't." Laurie grabs her daughter's hands, facing her. "You have so much love to give. You have a heart of gold, and you're one of the most selfless people in the world."
Matilda feels tears fall down her cheeks. "One last stop." Laurie opens the door, bringing Matilda into the Starcourt mall.

Matilda'a brows furrow. "What—"

"Just wait." Laurie replied as she walked in the direction of Scoops ahoy.

They stood at the entrance, and Matilda watched as her past self kissed Steve. They were interrupted by customers, but she watched herself pat his chest and walk into the back room. He had watched her leave, his face love-struck, before he returned to the register.