ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁰⁰1̷̢̢̝̱͈̜͙̼̠̍͆̀͝

˗ˏˋ the hellfire club ! ˎˊ˗

⋆⁺₊⋆  ⋆⁺

THE MORNING OF THE PEP RALLY was not one that Matilda Campbell was particularly excited for. Steve had insisted on driving her and Robin in, as well as Dustin, but he ended up riding his bike in that day instead.

The brunette was exhausted when she woke up, only having gotten a couple hours of sleep. Matilda forced herself to get dressed, not bothering to do any makeup. She threw her hair up in a ponytail and left her room. As she made her way through her house, a sharp knock was heard on the door.

Matilda moved to open it, and was met with Steve Harrington, clad in normal clothes plus his work vest. He was smiling down at her, resting his arm on the doorframe. "Want me to carry your bag for you?"

She gave him a soft smile and rolled her eyes. "You're an idiot."

"I'm your idiot." Steve tilts his head in response.

"That is true." Matilda nods as she ducks under his arm and heads to his car. Robin was already sat in the front seat, working on her makeup. Matilda didn't mind it, so when Robin offered to hop in the back she declined.

Almost immediately after Matilda sat down, her head was resting on the window and she emitted quiet snores. Steve sat behind the wheel, looking back to his sleeping girlfriend. He pulled the car out of the driveway and headed off to Hawkins High.

After about 5 minutes, Steve broke the comfortable silence. "I'm worried about Matilda." He blurted out as they drove down a backroad. Robin hummed in response, prompting Steve to continue. "She's barely getting any sleep at night, and I know she's having nightmares. Her panic attacks seem to be getting worse, and I'm really, really worried." Steve's voice was getting louder, making Matilda stir in the back. "I want to talk to her about it, but I'm afraid that if I do, she'll shut me out more than she already is and I don't want to put that on her. Robin, are you even listening to me?"

"Oh my God, can't a girl get some beauty sleep?" Matilda mumbled as she rubbed her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Bells, I didn't mean to wake you." Steve eyed her in the rearview mirror.

"No worries. I just needed a cat-nap. What were you two on about?" Matilda queried.

"Oh, uh, I—"

"About how it is seven in the morning, we have to go to this stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a total corpse!" Robin said quickly. Matilda tilted her head at her sudden outburst but didn't pay too much attention to it.

Steve furrowed his brows. "You're worried about a basketball pep rally?"

"You expect us to believe that?"

"Yeah? So?" Robin shrugged.

"So we both know what this is about. Okay, I'm not buying that bullshit." Steve replied.

"This is about Vickie." Matilda drawled out the girl's name, a smirk on her lips.

Robin's eyes widened. "Absolutely not."