Chapter 31

Rose

The next morning, I decided to get up early and go grocery shopping. Before I left, I put a note for Brendon on his nightstand, telling him that I was running to the store and shouldn't be long. I figured that it might be a good idea to have food at the house, seeing as Brendon couldn't really go anywhere at the moment. 

Later today, I was going to have to drive him back to the hospital so that they could get started on physical therapy, which I'm sure Brendon wasn't too psyched about. I was just praying that his inability to walk stemmed from being in a coma, and not from the bullet wound. 

As I walked up to the check-out stand, I heard my phone ding in my pocket. I grabbed it and flipped it over to read the message. 

Brendon- Come back, I miss you :(

Rose- I'm just about to leave the store, I'll be there soon ;)

After I paid for the groceries, I made my way out of the store and to my car. I struggled with the lock for about two minutes before I finally got it to unlock. Wow, I really need to get a new car, I thought to myself. After loading up the groceries, I made a quick pitstop at Starbucks before heading to Brendon's house. 

Before I unloaded the groceries, I ran into Brendon's bedroom and gave him his coffee. He thanked me and offered to help get the groceries but I told him to rest and that I would be fine getting it by myself. 

When I finally finished with the groceries, I went to help Brendon get into his wheelchair. I was however pleasantly surprised to see that he had already gotten into his wheelchair and was in the closet. I walked in and he sat there picking out some clothes to wear today. 

"Need some help?" I asked as I watched him struggle to get a shirt off the top row of hangers. He just sat back defeated and sighed. 

"I hate this." he said, "Being crippled I mean. Having to rely on other people to do things for me." I looked down and him and felt a thousand emotions in just one second.

"Hey Bren, everything is going to be okay. We're going to the doctor soon, and he should be able to help.  You're going to be able to walk again, I promise." I told him and gave him a quick kiss. I grabbed the shirt that he kept trying to get and handed it to him.

"Hey by the way, since when do I have crocheted tank tops in my closet?" He asked me. Shit, I had totally forgotten about moving some of my clothes into his closet. I felt my face go red and I turned away from him.

"Shit I'm so sorry. While you were," I paused, "out I guess, I was staying here, watching the dogs and everything. I would have taken them to my apartment, but my landlord doesn't allow pets."I waited for his response before turning to face him. 

He let out a soft laugh and said, "I was joking Rose, It really doesn't bother me." I turned around and let out a sigh of relief. "I was actually thinking about asking you to move in with me?" He asked. 

"You're kidding," I said and he shook his head.

"No, I'm dead serious. I know that we haven't been dating for that long, but given our situation, I don't really think that matters. I love you and would love to have you here all the time. Plus, I think you take better care of the dogs than I ever have." He said, grabbing my hands.

All I could do was nod. I knew if I tried to say anything I would start crying. 

"Once I can walk again, we can get some stuff cleared out, and get your stuff from your apartment." He told me. 

"I'd love that." 

"Great. Now, I hate to ruin the moment, but do you think you could help me get dressed?" he asked me and I laughed. It felt so strange to be so happy in such a horrible situation. I mean the love of my life was currently sitting in a wheelchair after being shot by Ally's ex, and yet I was the happiest I've been in weeks. 

"Sure," I said and pushed him out of the closet. 

After helping him get dressed and ready to go, we headed to the hospital. 

"So how are you doing Brendon?" The doctor asked him while looking over his chart.

"So far, so good. I just wish I didn't have to be in this damn wheelchair," he told him.

After reading through the whole chart the doctor looked up at Brendon. "I completely understand. Have you had any holes in your memory or anything weird like that?" he asked.

Brendon shook his head. "No, I haven't had anything like that, not that I've realized at least." He said and looked over at me. "Have you noticed anything?"

"No, nothing out of the ordinary," I told him and the doctor.

"Well, that's really good news." The doctor said, putting the chart down. He stood up and walked over to Brendon. "I'm going to try and help you stand, is that okay?" he asked him.

Brendon nodded and the doctor took his arms. After struggling for a minute, Brendon was finally standing. "Well, your legs can support your weight, which is a good sign." The doctor said. "Do you think you could try and take a step?" 

Brendon shrugged and I stood up and walked over to the other side of him so he could have more support. The doctor and I both watched with great anticipation as Brendon moved his left leg forward and took a step. 

"Holy shit I did it." He said and took another small step.

I smiled and held back tears as Brendon slowly made his way to the other side of the room, with our help of course. 

"You've made a lot more progress today than I thought you would, given your condition. Would you feel comfortable if I gave you a cane to walk with instead of having the wheelchair?" The doctor asked him. 

"Is that even a question?" Brendon asked him.  

The doctor laughed and said, "You're right. I'll be right back."

"Holy shit Brendon, You can walk!" I exclaimed right after the doctor had closed the door.

"Yeah, but the real question now is, will I ever be able to walk in high heels again?" I just rolled my eyes and let out a laugh.