Chapter 29

Rose

"Hey Rose, do you want anything to drink!!" I heard Ally yell over the blaring music. I just shook my head. As I sat at the small table, all I could think about was how I didn't belong here. Sitting here, twisting Brendon's ring around on my finger. One. Two. Three. All I wanted to do was go home.

I decided to check my phone since Ally had left me to go have fun. Don't get me wrong, she should be having fun, I just wasn't. I clicked the power button, and read the messages. Scrolling all the way to the bottom I found one that caught my attention.

Brendon's doctor- Hey Rose, I wanted to update you on Brendon's condition. He's been showing signs of improvement and it looks like he will be waking up soon, within the next couple of days. I would like to speak to you in person as soon as possible. Thank you.

While I was reading the text, it felt as if a ton of bricks were lifted off my shoulders. Brendon was doing better.

I smiled to myself and stood up. I centered Brendon's ring on my finger and walked over to Ally and started to dance with her. It felt great.

"Why the sudden change?" I heard Ally say. I just smiled.

"It's Brendon, isn't it. He's doing better." She said. I just nodded and continued to dance. This was the best night I've had in a while.

When we got back to my house, I collapsed onto my bed. Almost as soon as I hit the bed I passed out.

As I rushed off to the hospital the next morning all I could think about was what if the doctor was wrong? What if he just gave me false hope?

When I stepped through the door of the hospital, I was greeted with smiles from the staff. I kindly smiled back and made my way up to Brendon's room. As I walked into his room, the doctor was in there, talking to someone.

As I took a few more steps, I saw that nobody was in the room except for the doctor and Brendon. And then I realized, Brendon was sitting up, looking around the room. I felt my eyes fill with tears and they soon came rushing out. I dropped to the floor, letting the tears roll out.

"Oh my god.. your awake!" I exclaimed while collecting myself from the floor. This must be a dream. I pinched my arm as hard as I could. Nope, this wasn't a dream. Brendon was awake.

"Hey, Rose." He said, his voice raspy from not using it for a while. We just starring at each other for what felt like an eternity. Sometime during that, the doctor silently excused himself from the room.

"H-how are you?" I finally got out.

"I've been better." He laughed. I shook my head and laughed back. It was nice to hear his laugh again.

"So what have you been up to? Not crying all day I hope. It would be a shame to cry over yours truly." He said smiling and taking my hand in his.

"No, that pretty much sums up how my life went while you were, well gone." His smile went to a frown.

"I like the ring, it suits you." He said and pointed towards my hand. I blushed and walked over to sit in the chair next to his bed. 

"You have no idea how much I missed you, Rose. Every time that you came to visit, I heard everything you said to me. It killed me that I couldn't say anything back to you. I'm so sorry, I never meant to hurt you." He said. I felt a tear run down my cheek. Brendon reached out his hand and wiped it away.

"What matters now is that you're back. You came back to me." I smiled.

Soon the doctor walked back in while Brendon and I continued to talk. "Excuse me, Rose, can I talk to you for a second?" I looked down at Brendon and gave him a sympathetic look. I stood up and walked over to the doctor. He opened the door and we walked out.

"So, I thought I would just update you on his condition. He's doing really well and seems pretty good. However, we would like to keep him overnight, just to see how he is, but if nothing goes wrong, he's free to go home tomorrow." I smiled. I would finally get Brendon back. "But I just want to warn you, just because he remembers you, doesn't mean he will remember everyone and everything. He may still have holes in his memories. I would like you to keep me updated on his condition if possible."

"Okay doc, sounds good." I started to walk back into Brendon's room when the doctor stopped me.

"Visiting hours are over in an hour. I would recommend that you go home and get some sleep. You look like you need it." I laughed and nodded. As I walked into Brendon's room I pulled out my phone. Wow, it was already 7 o'clock. I put my phone back into my pocket and walked over and sat next to Brendon. We continued to talk for another hour until a nurse came in telling us that visiting hours were over. I frowned and gathered my stuff. I looked over at Brendon and leaned down to kiss him. As we kissed, it reminded me just how much I missed him.

"I'll be back early tomorrow, I promise. I'll bring clothes and everything." He nodded and I smiled. As I made my way to the door I looked back and said, "I love you, Brendon."

"I love you too Rose."

When I walked into my house I was greeted by Ally laying on the couch. I had totally forgotten about her staying here, with the events of today. I smiled to myself remembering that Brendon was okay.

"Hey girl, get your ass over here. Tell. Me. EVERYTHING!" She screamed at me. I couldn't help but laugh.

"He woke up Ally, he's awake." Her eyes widened. She tacked me with a hug. I began to cry, but not tears of sadness, tears of joy.

"Hey, no crying. This is a day of happiness." I wiped the tears away and we continued to talk. "So when is he coming home?" She asked, sipping some wine.

"I'm going to get him tomorrow morning." I paused and suddenly stood up. "Speaking of which, I need to get him some clothes packed for him." I walked down the hall to the bedroom and just stared. The bedroom was a disaster. "Shit. And now I have to clean up the house."

Ally came walking up behind me and laughed. "Rose, you get some clothes packed and I'll clean up. When you're done getting clothes, please, get some sleep. You look like death." She laughed.

"Wow, way to be nice to your best friend." I walked over to the closet and grabbed a pair of pants and a shirt. Then I grabbed some other things that Brendon would need. After stuffing everything into a small backpack, I walked over to the bed and laid down. Things were going right for the first time in a while.

The last thing I heard before drifting off to sleep was ally saying, "Why the hell do you have a bag of Cheetos, with chopsticks in it, under your bed!!"