New Beginnings

*Disclaimer this is my first story so any advice in the comments would be extremely helpful. I also do not own star wars or any of it's characters.(N/N) is nickname, (L/N) is last name and (N) is name. I've revised this chapter to make it a bit more cannon.

Dejarik was a strategy game you played with Anakin when the boring hours of the Jedi cruiser became too much. "I win yet again, Skywalker." You gloated. And one of the few things you could beat him in. The man was too good at piloting, not including the many crashes he partakes in and being the "chosen one" he would undeniably beat you in a force challenge. "Yes, but I almost won the last round." Anakin pointed out. "Almost winning something does not count as winning, little Ani." You stated. "I have a holo call to make anyway." Anakin said excusing himself to no doubt call Padme'. The one woman he has held in his heart since he was nine. You know this only because the very long years of friendship between you two and Anakin's non stop pinning for Padme', dreaming of the day he would meet her again, now newlyweds. Padme' herself was kind, compassionate, intelligent, she was overall a great person and you wished for nothing but the best for both of them. Padme' was the big sister you never had and was the single politician you trusted whole heartedly. You wave at Anakin as he walks away to his quarters.

After he leaves you scour the room for an opponent to face. A couple of clones pass by, saluting you as their general or co-general to the 501st legion. At first you were a bit bitter about being assigned to a legion that already had a general, but it was probably for the best, two generals are better than one. You were about to give up on find a new opponent, when a certain blue and white armored clone walks into the room. You recognized him immediately due to the Jaig Eyes symbols on his helmet. He was awarded them in a ceremony at some point, possibly after the Battle of Arantara or Mimban. You were there to witness the great honor bestowed on him, he completely deserved the honor and you were surprised that he wasn't given it sooner. "Captain." You called out. He turned towards you and stood at attention. "Yes, sir." Rex replied, keeping his shoulders square. "Would you care to play a game of Dejarik?" You asked. Even though he had his sunbonnet on you could tell that he was honestly surprised at your proposal. A few seconds pass of uncomfortable silence and you decide to break it. "Did you hear me, Captain?" You asked. "Yes, sir. I just didn't expect you to ask me that." Rex replied. "Playing Dejarik is a good way to get to know someone based on how they play, besides I've been interested in getting to know your character for a while now." You told him. Every since the Battle of Arantara you've been interested in learning more about the captain. When you and Anakin found him on the Battle of Arantara He was wounded, unconscious and sure that no one was coming for him. From what you could tell, he was a brave, assertive, quick thinking, selfless and earnestly loyal person, even though you personally didn't know him. You didn't know what, but something intrigued you about him.

Once you set up the game you and Rex pick your pieces. "I'll let you go first." You offered. Rex took off his helmet and proceeded to make hi first move. You pause when you see his face. He had a light blonde buzz cut, a 5'o clock shadow and golden brown eyes. The combination suited him, making him easy on the eyes. Along with that, you noticed a small cut on his chin that had long since healed. Rex finishes his move and you proceed to make yours, looking out the window to see that the cruiser has entered hyperspace.

After making Little conversation and multiple moves, Rex uses his Kintan Strider to take out your Ghhhk. "Good move." You said, acknowledging his excellent move and strategy skills. "Thank you, sir." Rex replied. "Rex, you don't have to call me "sir" while we are playing Dejarik and having casual conversation. You can call me (N)." You responded. Rex looks at you with wide eyes and surprise. "Or would you prefer the immortal Captain Rex?" You asked in a teasing tone. Rex started to chuckle, Loosening up a bit. "Rex, is just fine." Rex said. You use your Monnok to attack Rex's Kintan Strider, lowering it's Hp to 2. Rex uses his turn to attack your Monnok that was conveniently adjacent to his K'lor'slug, leaving with an Hp of 3. For your turn you take your Monnok and kill Rex's Kintan Strider, whacking it to death with the staff it held. When the next turn falls on Rex he takes out your Monnok with his K'lor'slug, leaving his K'lor'slug and your Houjix. Too bad for him your Houjix had the same number of attack that he had for Hp. Sufficed to say the match was over with your Houjix taking out Rex's K'lor'slug with one strike. "Nice move, si- (N)." Rex commented. "Thank you, Rex." You said back.

"Hey, I have question for you." You voiced, after the game was over. "Yes?" Rex responded. "Why blue? Aren't clone captains supposed to be red?" You asked casually. When the clone wars started the clones were given different colors based on rank, now Commander Cody has orange on his armor instead of yellow and captains like Rex have any sort of colors. Rex looks at you for a second before answering. "When the Republic made the clone legions they gave each of them different colors, giving the 501st blue, hence the blue armor." Rex explained. You blushed a bit at your ignorance. "Is that common knowledge?" You asked. "Well most Jedi know that, guess you're not most Jedi." Rex replied. He did not say it it in a demeaning or insulting way, more as a observation, maybe even as a compliment. You look out the window and see that the Jedi cruiser had jumped out of hyperspace and was on Coruscant. "I'm afraid I have to take my leave. Will I see you around, Captain?" You asked. "I hope so." Rex replied. Even though Rex was on the 501st and you would no doubt see him frequently, there was no certainty on if you would be assigned to different assignments or if Rex would be given missions that would differ from the 501st. You didn't know how, but as you walked out of the Jedi cruiser, you felt that something new was going to happen to you, maybe through the force or your own intuition. You just knew that some good things were going to come your way along with possibly some bad things, you just had to wait and see.