A Special Day

"Are all the decorations set up?" You asked Anakin. "Almost, R2 is still getting ingredients for the cake," Anakin responded. It took a long time, but from getting information here and there, pulling some strings, and going to Kamino to find what you wanted, you were able to find Rex's exact birthdate. His birthday at that point had not passed, so you spent weeks preparing for Rex's birthday. Thankfully, Anakin was free today, so you asked him to help with some of the preparations. Conveniently, Rex was busy with work for weeks, fighting with the 501st on different planets and the occasional captain paperwork. You can tell from his holo-transmitter calls that he was tired and stressed. This was exactly what he needed.

R2 finally made it back with the cake ingredients. "Now all we need to do is make and bake the cake before Rex gets here!" You told Anakin. Baking the cake was difficult with Anakin not putting the right measurements in and you almost ruining the frosting, but somehow the cake turned out perfectly. You decided to frost the cake with the blues and grays of Kamino. "I have to take off now. I promised Padme' that I would be there by breakfast" Anakin announced. "Thank you for helping today, Ani I love and appreciate you!" You expressed while hugging Anakin. He hugged you back and rushed out of the door.

Right after Anakin left you prepared a big breakfast that included sausages, waffles, avocado toast, French toast, eggs, and bacon. You kept the door unlocked waiting for Rex's arrival. You hear the doorknob start to turn and throw off your apron. Rex walks through the door and you throw your hands around him, giving him a kiss on his cheek. "What this?" Rex asked, gesturing to the breakfast. "What? I can't make breakfast for my boyfriend?" You questioned him. "I just wasn't expecting such a big breakfast," Rex admitted. "Well, I know that one of the things we have in common is our big appetite." You explained. "Hey, I'm not complaining," Rex said with a smirk, sitting down to start eating the meal.

"I found out that today is a pretty special day for a certain someone." You hinted, taking a bite out of your French toast with powdered sugar. Rex gave you a suspicious look. "A special day for who? " "A certain captain born around 32 BBY. That just so happens to have a birthday today." You said, biting back a smile. Rex almost spits out his food. "What? How do you even know it's my birthday?" "I have my ways." You answered, taking a mouth full of the rest of your breakfast. "Isn't awesome that you know your exact birthday now and not a vague date? Now you can celebrate your birthday and I have the perfect day planned." You prompted. "Don't know about that. Never cared about my birthday or cared to celebrate it." Rex admitted. "Come on, I promise you'll have fun. Besides, as your General, I order you to have fun today, but if you feel uncomfortable or bored in any way we'll just come home to do whatever you want, it will just be you and me." You assured him. "I trust you," Rex said with an expectant smile. "Great, because in a few hours we are going to a speeder race!" You prompted. "They have speeder races here?" Rex asked. "It's a new one, it's not permanent." You told him. Rex with an excited smile nodded then headed towards the bathroom presumably to shave.

After the speeder race, you and Rex went to go get some popsicles they were selling near the speeder race. "These don't taste like normal desserts," Rex commented. "Yeah, it's more like frozen juice, it's still good. Though, it doesn't hold a candle to ice cream or ice cream cake, mmm ice cream cake is the best. We'll try it sometime." You told him. Rex watched you with an amused smile as you describe more desserts and the wide variety of flavors for ice cream. Walking into the lower levels of Coruscant, you were joined in hand with Rex heading to the next thing you had planned. "I was thinking that we can go to a laser tag stadium next. Just you and me instead of a whole team." You prompted. "Sounds fun." Rex agreed.

Once in the laser tag stadium you paid for the hour you both were going to spend in the laser tag stadium. Due to the fact that you were a horrible shot, Rex won the first round. As soon as the second round started you were tagged by Rex. The rest of the game went on like that with you barely getting a shot in and Rex continuing to tag you, giving you playful kisses just to tease you. After your hour of fun, you and Rex walk back to your apartment. "Are sure you don't want to go do anything else?" You asked. "Yes, I'd rather spend the rest of the day at home with you," Rex answered giving you a kiss on the cheek. "My apartment is home for you?" You asked, slightly surprised. You thought that he thought of Kamino as his only home. "Kamino will always be my first home, but ever since I met you I've found another one." Rex expressed, smiling at your reaction. You guessed it was true about what people said about home. "Home is where the heart is". You thought. It made you happy to know that Rex thought of your apartment as his home too or maybe that you were his home. You knew that nothing could replace Kamino for him.

When you enter the apartment you hang your keys onto the key hanger and then turn to Rex. He was giving you a look of longing. "What is it?" You asked. "I just missed you a lot," Rex admitted to you. You could feel the ache in his heart and you pull him closer to embrace him. "I missed you too." After hugging for a while you both pull away. "I have another surprise for you." You told him. "Really?" Rex asked with a smile. "Yeah, just wait right here and close your eyes." You told him. You made sure Rex's eyes were closed before going to take out the cake. You take out the cake, then place birthday candles on them, lighting each one carefully with a lighter. "Rex you can open your eyes now." You told him. When Rex's eyes open they practically light up at the cake. "Now usually people sing the birthday song during this part, but I have another song in mind." You informed him. You clear your throat before starting and turn on some background guitar music. (Song is I love you too much from the movie book of life. Watch the annapatsu cover of this it's really good!)

"~I love you too much, to live without you loving me back. I love you too much, My heart as my witness and this is a fact. I know I belong when I sing this song, there's love above love and it's ours cause I love you too much. I live for your touch, I whisper your name night after night, I love you too much, there's only one feeling that I know is right, I know I belong when I sing this song, there's love above love and it's ours cause I love you too much. I've been praying to have you stay here by my side. Without you a part of me is missing, just to make you my home I will fight. I know I belong when I sing this song, there's love above love and it's ours because I love you too much. I love you too much! I love you too much, my heart as my witness and this is a fact. You're part of my soul, Your heart is my goal, there's love above love and it's mine cause I love you, there's love above and it's yours cause I love you, there's love above and it's ours if you love me as much~."

Rex's eyes fill with amazement. "You're amazing. I didn't know you could sing." Rex responded. "I stopped singing after something happened, but I have found a new reason for singing." You said, finishing the last sentence looking at Rex. "What exactly made you stop?" Rex asked. "Xenia's death. She was my best friend. We used to do everything together, we used to do duets all the time. When she died it felt wrong to sing without her. I even lost my voice for a while. I'll never get over her death, but I have moved on and I feel as though she's still with me through the force." You admitted. "I'm sorry," Rex said. "Ah, no it's okay, don't be, like I said I've moved on. Besides, I have found someone that gave me a reason to sing again." You told him, looking deeply into his eyes. "I don't deserve you," Rex said, caressing your cheek. "If you didn't deserve me I wouldn't be here, you are a great man, a good man Rex, you don't give yourself enough credit." You expressed, leaning into his hand. "How was this for a first birthday?" You asked. "Thanks, to you a great one," Rex said, kissing your forehead. "Make a wish birthday man." You prompted. Rex smirks at you and blows out the candles. "What did you wish for?" You asked. "I don't think I'm supposed to tell you that," Rex answered with a grin. You rolled your eyes at him and give him a kiss on the cheek. You and Rex spent the rest of his birthday eating cake, watching movies, and cuddling. "I love you." You said. You could feel Rex's joy from your words. "You don't have to say back." You added. He looks back at you with a deep gaze and utters the words. "I love you too, (N)." squeezing you in his arms.