Chapter 8

I woke up to see Giyu had already gotten up. His futon laid empty though it looked to have shifted a bit closer than last night. I figured i must've moved in my sleep, i was always quite a bit of a restless sleeper ever since high school. The stress i was put under once middle school ended had affected me quite a bit. 

I yawned and stretched my arms. Cheesestick had already woken up too. So i guess i was the last one, how embarrassing. I blinked my eyes a couple of times till i finally noticed another presence in the room. Before i could say something Giyu spoke.

"You're finally awake." I turned to him and he was facing me. I guess he woke up not too long ago because he was barely beginning to button up his uniform. I didn't want to be disrespectful though and turned away. If i was in his place that's what i would've wanted someone to do. As i faced the other wall, nothing felt real. Maybe it was morning wariness but everything felt like a blur.

"Yeah and I'm starting to get deja vu or something." I replied, my eyes focusing on the design and faded coloring of the wall.

"Why's that?" He asked me.

"I keep expecting to wake up in my apartment and get ready for work. My senses of reality tell me that this is all a dream I've made up but it's not. This is the new reality." I said. I think i wasn't fully woken up because after i said that i then realized how weird and oddly depressing it sounded. I mentally facepalmed but Giyu just hummed in response.

I heard his footsteps grow closer until they stopped beside me. He just stood there for a moment before placing his hand on my shoulder. He gave it a squeeze just as he had done the first time i showed up here. It was his way of comforting me and telling me he understands what it's like. It made sense, his reality had completely changed too. Twice in fact, first when his sister died and then when Sabito died.

He let go of my shoulder and walked out the door. He stopped outside and leaned against the hallway wall before closing the door. I turned back around and noticed that my clothes were folded neatly by my futon. Hisa must've placed them there while we slept. I went over and picked them. The flowery and fresh scent they gave off was nice. I mentally thanked Hisa for not letting us continue in sweaty and dirty clothes.

I changed and grabbed my nichirin blade. Attaching it to my belt, i went over and folded both mine and Giyu's futons and stacked them. I then folded the clothes Hisa had given us and placed them by the futon. I went over and opened the door, Giyu looked up at me and then to the room behind me.

"You didn't have to fold mine. I was going to do it when you were done." He said to me as we started walking down the hall.

"It's fine, only took a few seconds anyway." I replied. I then noticed that Cheesestick hadn't been in the room with us when we woke up.

"Hey do you know where Cheesestick is? He wasn't in the room when i woke up." I turned to Giyu, a worried look on my face. He kept his eyes ahead and his expression didn't change. I relaxed a little knowing his calmness meant Cheesestick was fine.

"Hisa took him out earlier. He should be with her." He replied. I sighed in relief that my beloved cat was alright. I was worried he was going to be doing something that got him in trouble. I don't think Giyu would ever forgive me if Cheesestick tried to eat Kanzaburou.

As we reached the entrance of the house we stopped in front of Hisa. She was carrying Cheesestick in his arms and he seemed to be having the time of his life. She handed him to me and I placed him back onto my shoulders. I thanked her for taking care of Cheesestick and for her hospitality. Giyu thanked her as well and we both bowed slightly to her. She wish us luck on our mission and once again we were off.