Chapter 39

Rain continued to pelt down over head, drenching our coats. An icy wind whipped by, blowing the drops into our faces as we stared down the wolves below. My eyes narrowed as I lowered my head slightly, observing the slow and deliberate movements of the largest wolf. I didn't bare my fangs quite yet, instead, side-eyeing Giyu for silent communication. He turned slightly towards, giving me a conflicted look. I stepped a bit closer to him before a voice from below called my attention back.

"We do not take kindly to man kind venturing so far into these woods." The wolf spoke, the grey fur on his neck raising as he slightly bares his fangs. "Explain why your scent is plastered with human stench. Are you lap dogs? Coddled up by the humans and ripping out your own dignity? Nobody in these woods have recognized you. So where did you both come from." He snarled, walking slowly from side to side as the wolves behind him began circling the rock formation.

I lean towards Giyu, keeping my eyes on the wolf below us. "The fuck should we do. Make some cover up story or go oh yeah no we're actually people except one of us has a magic book so we made a serum to shape shift us because we were bored!" I whisper-shouted, evident frustration on my end.

Giyu sighs and looks around, assessing the situation further. "Well, you don't build trust on lies?" He looks at me, an unsure look on his face as he slightly tilts his head.

I sigh and nod. "Yeah will I suppose our current situation is easier to prove than saying we were transported here from Canada or some shit." I mutter as I take a step forward, presenting myself in a more domineering way. Of course I'm not stupid enough to get off the rock like some Disney movie. Man I'd get jumped immediately.

"You ask us who we are and why we smell like people." My voice is loud and clear as I stand tall before the wolf.

"Do not repeat my question, only answer it." He growls, baring his teeth. Oh man I'm about to skin this motherfucker into a custom fur coat and wear it to the premiere of Oppenheimer.

"The answer is easy. We are people." Giyu steps up next to me and sits down, displaying a lack of intimidation.

The wolf barks out, "The hell you are. We can see you clear as day, you are wolves." There's some snaps of jaws around and snarls.

"Let me explain. We are people, but we've shifted into wolves at the moment. Giyu, be a dear and demonstrate." Giyu gets up and stands up tall next to me. After a small moment, he blurs into a human again, his hair slightly disheveled with a tired yet annoyed look on his face. I look back to the wolf below who stares in shock. His head hangs low as the hair on his neck raises and he stares up.

He looks at me, angry and confused as he tilts his head slightly up. "Impossible... how."

I shift back into my own human self, my image slightly disheveled as well. I hold my bag up and pull out the journal. "With this. I made a serum that allowed us to shift into any being for five hours." I take out the empty vial, showing it off before placing the items back in my bag.

The grey wolf snarls and takes a tentative step forward. "What is your purpose here. What do you intend to do." Giyu instinctively reaches for his sword but curses under his breath when he realizes he left it. Neither of us really expected such a confrontation and we'd be back before sunset so we saw no need to bring it.

I put my hands up in a defensive and calming manner. "Believe me, we mean no harm to you or your habitat. We simply wanted to have fun and view your world from a new perspective." I morph back into a wolf, Giyu following suit as I notice the familiar black fur beside me.

The grey wolf sneers, "And how can we trust that. You are human after all. It is in your very nature to deceive and greed over other resources." Damn who reincarnated Nai as a wolf the hell. What's next, some Vash wolf is gonna show up and defend us.