Chapter 32

The cool dark of the night casted down on us. The only sound now was the rhythmic gears of the train, exerting themselves along the tracks. The window besides us was slightly open, letting the fast air in and nipping at our faces.

It was strange, as much as we knew this mission would most likely go our way, a gloom still hung over us. Maybe it was the pitch darkness outside, or the way the viles rattled against eachother. Their sound muffled by the bag they were kept in. Maybe it was the way Tanjiro had failed to get any answers from the Flame Hashira. Or maybe it was the knowing of the start of the battle approaching.

I looked out the window, grim thoughts clouding my mind. Trees flew past us like dark piercing blades, ready to impale any poor soul who might get caught in the fight. Maybe thrown off during the train's derailment if things don't go according to plan. I can almost see the crimson red tainting the pitch black of the trees. It's disgustingly sticky with bits of torn skin, flesh, and fat hanging onto it.

I shudder, shaking away the horrifying possibilities. I grip my bag with the viles even harder, afraid that if i let go for even a moment they'll be taken from me and destroyed by the demon that inhibits this train. I swallow hard, nervousness churning my stomach into knots. It seems Kyojuro takes notice of my form. He places a warm hand on my knee and smiles at me sweetly. I hadn't even realized i was shivering until my muscles relaxed.

"Everything will be fine Y/n, it'll all work out." He gives my knee a slight squeeze before letting go.

"There's no guaranteeing it Kyojuro, but I'll try my best." I furrow my brows, determined to achieve our desired outcome of the battles.

"As will we, for now let's get to work." He nodded his head reassuringly whilst giving out the command. I nodded my head in agreement, reaching into my bag for my mask and train ticket. I placed my ticket on my lap as i secured the mask onto my head, pulling the hood of my sweater over top. There was no turning back now.

We were going to need two miracles. So far things have proven to be able to change from the original storyline. From a minor insignificant scene to a drastic plot change. We're going to need this mission to go nearly exactly according to the plot. No casualties, a lower moon beheaded, only minor injuries. That's miracle number one. Then we're going to need these viles to remain unscathed after the first fight. Once Kyojuro fights upper moon 3 we'll need to be quick and give him a vile. That's miracle number two.

I run different scenarios through my head, tweaking away like a sculptor to create the plan from a stone of infinite possibilities. Footsteps grow near, just hearing them one can feel the utter depression radiating from the conductor. My coworkers hand him their tickets one by one. Soon sleep will take over as the Demon's art takes effect. They'll be faced with buttery dreams, whispering sweet nothings into their ears to lull them into the confines of most desperate wants.

I hand the conductor my ticket, keeping my head low and my mask out of view to avoid confrontation. click. The small rounded piece of cardstock fell to the floor. The conductor hands my ticket back and solemnly walks away, surely to the bidding of that sadistic twink. I raise the ticket up to my nose, wondering if i could smell the Demon's scent, but of course nothing. Even Tanjiro would have to focus to detect its scent. Only a dog could smell something this unsettling so easily.

My hazed eyes wandered back towards the window beside me. Each passing moment they grew heavier, yet my thoughts raced more than before. Would I realize this was a dream? Should I have prepared and strengthened my core and self consciousness? What would my most pleasant dream be? What if they unmask me in my sleep? Would I have to kill myself in the dream too? Would the demon have a hard time ensnaring me in its curse with my mask? Will I make it home? Will anyone make it home? Will I have to explain to grieving families why their children, parents, siblings, and friends aren't coming home? Will I have to comfort a crying mother wailing for the loss of her son? Of her daughter? Of her child? Of her husband or wife?