Chapter 2 ( Tessa's Character changes later On)

"Get the hell off her!", I yell at dad.

Amber's on the floor with her hands over her head as Dad positions himself over her with a beer bottle. Something snaps in me and I run full-speed at him, everything blurring until it's just the monster that I used to know and I.

My hand wraps around his wrist as I twist, it digging my nails into it.

He grimaces and lunges himself at my throat. I duck.

I turn around and see his fist flying towards my face, but he isn't quick enough and I move to the left kicking his side as hard as I can and falls.

And before I see it coming, throws the bottle at my bruised cheek. Black edges my vision as I trip over myself and fall.

"Twessa!", Amber yells and I see her sit in front of me sobbing.

I take a deep breath and keep myself from fainting

Amber's blonde ringlets are matted with sweat to her forehead. Her blue eyes that used to be so innocent and full of laughter are haunted and full of pain.

She has no bruises, thank god. I don't what I'd do if that monster hurt her.

I sigh in relief and hug her to my chest. Her shoulders shake with uncontrollable sobs. I lightly touch my cheek and have to bite my lip to keep from screaming out in pain.

My fingers come away with warm blood. Amber's breathing evens out with an occasional hiccup.

I slowly stand up with Amber in my arms and walk to the room next to the living room

Amber stirs in her sleep as I lower her to the mattress and I freeze. An angelic smile replaces her frown in her sleep.

I let out a breath that I was holding and walk to the living room to survey the damage. Pieces of glass coated with my blood are all over the room.

He's lying unconscious on the floor. I leave him there and clean up the glass, throwing the pieces into a trash bag outside.

Sparkling, silver stars paint the night sky. I used to count the stars with mom when she was alive.

My mother loved the night sky and whenever I see it, it reminds me of her. She loved painting the night sky.

"Beautiful isn't it", I jump turning around and get in my fighting position with my fists in front of my face.

I drop my fists immediately when I recognize who it is. It's the new boy with the piercing blue eyes.

" Yeah, I heard you moved here, " I say.

" Moved here from South Dakota," his eyes grow a bit distant.

"Why'd you move here", I ask out of curiosity.

His face darkens.

Crap, curiosity killed the cat.

Must be a touchy subject.

"Sorry, I'm being nosy. More that I usually am", I add with a small smile.

He chuckles, and sets off butterflies in my stomach.

What the hell?!

There's no way I can like him.

He frowns and tenderly touches my cheek. I pull away with a soundless whimper. My cheek burns from the light touch.

"What happened," he asks, anger evident in his voice. Think of a lie, I chant in my head.

"I was playing tag with my sister and tripped down the stairs. Hurt like hell", I tell him with a smile.

He stares at my face as If searching my face for lies.

I swallow down my fear.

"Okayee then. Next question. What do your parents do for a living?", he asks me.

Tears prick my eyes. I have to get away fast before I break down.

"Listen I really gotta go. I'm babysitting my sister tonight and I don't want to leave her by herself", I lie partially not letting my voice waver.

"Okay, well bye. See you at school", he says with a wave of his hand.

I return the gesture, turn to the house and run into the bathroom that I share with Amber. I look in the mirror

The left side of my face is covered with drying blood. I'm surprised that the boy with the blue eyes didn't scream at the sight of me.

I sigh and stick a towel in my mouth to muffle my screams. I then open the first aid kit and take out a bunch of band aids. This is so gonna hurt.

I grab another rough towel and soak it in water. Then I rub it over my face, yelling curses into the towel.

At the end, there ends up to be five long, deep scratches. They won't scar though. I gingerly place the band aids over my wound. I end up using ten, two for each scratch.

I turn off the light, walk to the mattress that Amber is sleeping on, and gently lower to myself on the mattress. Right before I drift off, I realize that I didn't even get the blue-eyed boy's name.

"Wake up b!tch," the monster says slapping me awake.

I sit up and grab his hand before he strikes me again. I snap my eyes open and meet his cold, brown eyes. I get up, and push him out of the room. He glares at me and stomps out of the house, no doubt to get drunk. That's how he deals with his pain.

I walk to the dresser and take out a green skater skirt and a black spaghetti strap shirt. I pair that with my leather jacket and black converse that I wear everyday. I brush my long, natural red hair and walk into the bathroom. I rip off the band aids with a yelp.

My scratches are healing nicely, but they're still an angry red. Sighing, I take out my emergency concealer, cover up the bruise on my right cheek, and the scratches on my left. I go back to the dresser and take out some denim shorts , a red t-shirt, and some pink flip-flops.

"Princess, it's time to go to daycare", I say softly.

Amber groggily wipes the sleep out of her eyes and gets changed. I hold Amber's hand and lead her to the kitchen. I make her some toast and pour a glass of orange juice that we share.

We walk to the car hand in hand and I drop her off at daycare with a kiss on her cheek. Weird, Amber didn't talk as much as she usually does. I'm gonna kill that monster if he said anything to her.

"Helloooooo girlie", Andrew greets me and walks me to my locker.

I screech as I see Amanda and the blue-eyed boy making out in front of my locker. Oh My god, the horrors of high school. What you see scars you forever.

"My poor, innocent eyes!", I yell covering my eyes.

Andrew literally just ran away, probably washing his eyes out with soap.

"What the hell do you want", Amanda says in her annoying, nasally voice. I uncover my eyes. The blue-eyed boy just looks at me, hanging his head in what seemed to be shame.

"To have not seen that! I've been scarred for life", I say dramatically.

Amanda is pretty with her jet black hair, and hazel eyes, but her face is caked in makeup. She's also wearing shorts that could qualify as underwear and a tube top. Honestly, kids probably run away screaming and crying.

I push Amanda off my locker, grab my history notes, and walk to history without a second glance at them. I sit down at my desk, next to Jake. He smiles at me, but before he can say anything the teacher speaks.

"Class, I would like you to meet a student that starts today." The teacher motions a boy into the room.

I look at the front of the classroom and freeze. It's the boy that I thought I would never have to see again. The boy that gave me my scars. The boy that I started street fighting because of.

"Xander", I whisper not loud enough for him to hear, but loud enough to still fill me with rage, fear, and pain.